The Vice President of Nigeria, Professor Yemi Osinbajo has disclosed that about 1.35 million women have benefited from various entrepreneurial programmes of the federal government since 2015.
According to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), Osinbajo said this on Tuesday in Abuja at the national dialogue forum on the girl-child in Nigeria, themed; ‘Towards A Girl-Friendly Nigeria.
The event which was organised by the African Child Policy Forum (ACPF), the AfricaWide Movement for Children (AMC), and Women Arise for Change Initiative.
Osinbajo said “From 2015, we have ensured that all government social and entrepreneurial programmes have an affirmative component for women,”
“The reason why we have done this is because we very strongly believe that young girls need strong role models of successful women at all levels of society.
“Of the 2.4 million beneficiaries of government entrepreneurial and empowerment programmes, 56.4 percent were women.
“A total of N38 billion in loans have been disbursed in the last four years. Of the 1.1 million beneficiaries of our conditional cash transfer programmes, 1.078 million of them; that is, 98 percent are women.
“In addition, in our youth empowerment programme where we have engaged 526,000 young people, and just recently, the president had asked that it be increased to a million young people.
“Of the 526,000 we have employed, 40.4 percent of them are female. And, of the 106,074 cooks in our homegrown school feeding programme, 97 percent of them are female.
“So far, what we have tried to do is to ensure that affirmatively, we dedicate a certain percentage to women in our social and entrepreneurial programmes.”
The figure represents 56.4 percent out of 2.4 million beneficiaries for all entrepreneurial and empowerment programmes in the country.
- Actress Olaide Oyedeji Welcomes Baby With Husband, Olukotan
- EPL: How Can You Sign Ben White for €58.50million– Gallas Faults Arsenal
- Katsina Female Hunter Vows To Defeat Bandits
- Police Arrest Three Women Concealing Petrol in Bags For Bandits in Katsina [VIDEO]
- El-Rufai Struggling To Export Banditry To The South – Akeredolu
- EFCC Arrest 26 Internet Fraud Suspects in Delta State
- We Will Not Allow Foreign Terrorists Overrun Nigeria – Army
- Decentralization of VAT Collection Will Favour Every State – Udom Emmanuel
- EPL: Your Playing Style Vexes me – Ince Lambasts Man United stars
- Gas Crisis May Increase Oil Prices By $10 – Mele Kyari