The Caretaker/ Extra-Ordinary Convention Planning Committee of the All Progressive Congress has poured cold water on talks of zoning arrangement for the general elections in 2023.
This is even as the Committee dismissed a list purportedly showing how the ruling party has zoned elective public offices for the 2023 general elections as well as its National Working Committee.
The rebuttal was made on Wednesday by Secretary of the CECPC, Senator John Akpanudoedehe, in Abuja the Federal Capital Territory.
Akpanudoedehe said, “People who are interested in running for one office or the other can speculate. As far as I am concerned, the last caretaker committee meeting we had, we did not discuss that.
“That is not what we are concerned with now. What we are concerned with is data collection: how to collect data without making mistakes.
“We are not going to be pressured by sentiment and we do the wrong thing. Let me say that zoning is not for the caretaker committee alone; it has to do with the President (Major General Muhammadu Buhari, retd.); it has to do with other major stakeholders; it has to do with a lot of people.
“The list is not from us (caretaker committee). The President is not in town. There is no way such decision will be taken without consulting with the President; consulting with the governors and other major stakeholders. People should disregard the list. We are focused on delivering our mandate and we are to do it rightly.”
The purported list which has since gone viral on social media is titled ‘APC announces zoning arrangement ahead of 2023 election year…APC 2023 presidential ticket zoning and National Working Committee.’
The list indicated that the ruling party had zoned the office of the President to the South; Vice-President, North; Senate President, South; Deputy Senate President, North; House of Reps Speaker, North; House of Reps Deputy Speaker, South.
- PAP: NDRN Congratulates, Tasks Kemepade on Head of Reintegration Elevation
- Nigeria Has No Excuse for Inadequate Power Supply – Al-Mustapha
- MKO Abiola Remains Most Acceptable Nigerian Democrat – Northern Governor
- Buhari Remains My President, I Pray For Him Every Day, Governor Says
- Killings: We’ve Cried Enough, It’s Now Time For Action – Ortom
- Boko Haram Pays Recruits N5,000 To Spy, Smuggle Weapons – Zulum
- Your Hatred For Biafra Irrelevant, Referendum Nust Take Place – Kanu Tells Leaders
- JUST IN: Olusegun Obasanjo Writes Open Letter To Buhari
- Why I Apologised To My Lesbian Daughter – Charlyboy
- 2023 Elections: Count Me Out of Any Contest – Gov Masari