The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has demanded for all eligible voters in the country be accredited electronically before the next general elections in 2023.
In line with the above, INEC has abolished the old voting system of Smart Card Readers, which were utilized in the past elections, and replacing it with a new voter authentication equipment known as Bimodal Voters Accreditation System, BVAS
This was stated by INEC Chairman Professor Mahmood Yakubu, during a consultative meeting held with civil society organizations in Abuja on Tuesday.
“The new mantra is that no electronic accreditation, no voting,” Mahmood said.
Professor Yakubu also stated that in the upcoming elections in Delta and Anambra states, the electoral commission will begin to use a new electronic accreditation system.
“For sometimes, many stakeholders including civil society organizations have called on the Commission to strengthen the voter accreditation process during elections especially with reference to the use of the incident form while the smart card reader fails to authenticate the fingerprint of voters.
“Over the last one year, we have reviewed the situation and we think we have found the appropriate technology to address it. The functionality of the ZPAD has now been integrated into IVED, that is, INEC Voter Enrolment Device currently used for voter registration.
“On election day, the same device will become the Bimodal Voters Accreditation System – BVAS to be used first for fingerprint identification during accreditation and for facial identification.”
- Actress Olaide Oyedeji Welcomes Baby With Husband, Olukotan
- EPL: How Can You Sign Ben White for €58.50million– Gallas Faults Arsenal
- Katsina Female Hunter Vows To Defeat Bandits
- Police Arrest Three Women Concealing Petrol in Bags For Bandits in Katsina [VIDEO]
- El-Rufai Struggling To Export Banditry To The South – Akeredolu
- EFCC Arrest 26 Internet Fraud Suspects in Delta State
- We Will Not Allow Foreign Terrorists Overrun Nigeria – Army
- Decentralization of VAT Collection Will Favour Every State – Udom Emmanuel
- EPL: Your Playing Style Vexes me –Ince Lambastes Man United stars
- Gas Crisis May Increase Oil Prices By $10 – Mele Kyari