Even without Messi’s presence, his memory lives on at the Camp Nou on Sunday. With the removal of his giant photograph from the usual spot at the entrance in the wake of his move to France.
A New Beginning for Barcelona
Barcelona started a new journey without Lionel Messi by winning the match against Real Sociedad 4-2. Starting their LaLiga opener at the Camp Nou with a win on Sunday. The fans said they didn’t know what to expect, it felt like “a leap into the unknown.”
At the 19th minute, Captain Gerard Pique had given the team the lead with his 50th goal for the club. Martin Braithwaite scored during first-half injury time and in the 59th minute, Sergi Roberto sealed it up with a fourth in the last minute of the game.
However, at one stage when Sociedad came back from 3-0 down they had to hold their breath. All thanks to goals from 20-year-old Julen Lobete in the 82nd minute and a 30-meter free-kick from skipper Mikel Oyarzabal three minutes later, Sociedad rose to 3-2.
How has been Fan’s reaction?
Over 20,000 fans were in attendance, these crowds were happy to be finally out for the first time since the pandemic hit the country.
In directing anger to President Joan Laporta, some banners were in place. One of the banners read “Laporta, Barca is not your business”, while another screamed, “Barca yes, Laporta no!.”
A 23-year-old Barca fan Adria De Lucas said that the news was a big emotional blow. He said he was in his room when he saw the news. He started sending messages to all his friends, and no one believed it. It was emotionally hard on them all.
The supporter also said that it’s a leap into the unknown (without Messi anymore); we will see what happens from here on. Fans made the most of their return with chants of “Messi! Messi!”. Some banners expressed their “eternal gratitude” to Messi for his 21 years of service.
Pique said that the supporters were here to see football and their reactions had been anticipated, and that is what Leo represents, but change happens and they have to keep going.
Barcelona without Messi’s Talent
Barcelona Captain, Pique, said that the team will be very competitive. They will fight for titles to the end. They no longer have Messi’s talent, but they have proven that they can all play together.
- Wike to be Honored as Distinguished Governor of the Year on Infrastructural Development
- How APC Used, Dumped George Akume – Tiv Youths
- Buhari Approves Appointment of NNPC Limited’s Board Members
- INEC Office Set Ablaze in Enugu
- Why Nigeria Can’t Adopt Electronic Transmission of Election Results – Kalu
- Nigerian Govt Must Respect Human Rights To Attain National Unity – Gbajabiamila
- Anti-Open Grazing: Pro-Buhari Group Says Ortom Doesn’t Hate Buhari, Fulanis
- BREAKING: 3 Policemen Dead, 2 Injured as Gunmen Attack Checkpoint in Anambra
- Zoning: ‘You’re Desperate For Relevance’ — PDP Tackles Umahi
- Nigeria Needs Strong Institutions, Not Powerful Individuals — Shina Peller