Allow state police – Afenifere
Yoruba socio-cultural group, Afenifere has called on the Federal Government of Nigeria to allow States to have their own policy in order to tackle various security challenges facing the country.
The group also called on southwest governors to activate the anti-open grazing law in their states.
In a communiqué signed by the national publicity secretary of the group, Jare Ajayi, on Tuesday reads: “Afenifere noted with serious concern the unprecedented security problems accentuated by the influx of people even from outside Nigeria. Some of them are disguising as Okada riders. We call on the government and security agencies to put a halt to the unbridled influx of people with questionable intentions.
“Afenifere observed that terrorism and related vices including kidnapping are now so worrisome that in some cases, our people in places like Yewa, Ogun state, Oke Ogun in Oyo state, etc are forced to be relocating in to Benin Republic and other West African countries. Urgent actions must be taken to guarantee the security of these people and to put a stop to what is causing them agonies.
“We deliberated upon the plan by President Muhammadu Buhari to re-open the cattle routes despite stiff opposition from members of the public.
“It is a known fact that Afenifere strongly stands by the Southern Governors in their resolution on anti grazing laws. We commend the steps taken by governors of the South West on the establishment of security networks like Amotekun. We urge them to continue to forge ahead.”
Afenifere also deliberated on what it described as “illegal mining activities going on in various parts of the southwest especially by non-indigenes”.
“In view of the fact that Nigeria nation is fast moving into the precipice, there is the need by the federal government to urgently put a halt to various acts of terrorism, kidnapping, herders/farmers clashes and the likes. This, government can do, by immediately allowing states to have their own police,”
- BBNaija S6: Yousef and Saskay Are Evicted
- Wike to be Honored as Distinguished Governor of the Year on Infrastructural Development
- How APC Used, Dumped George Akume – Tiv Youths
- Buhari Approves Appointment of NNPC Limited’s Board Members
- INEC Office Set Ablaze in Enugu
- Why Nigeria Can’t Adopt Electronic Transmission of Election Results – Kalu
- Nigerian Govt Must Respect Human Rights To Attain National Unity – Gbajabiamila
- Anti-Open Grazing: Pro-Buhari Group Says Ortom Doesn’t Hate Buhari, Fulanis
- BREAKING: 3 Policemen Dead, 2 Injured as Gunmen Attack Checkpoint in Anambra
- Zoning: ‘You’re Desperate For Relevance’ — PDP Tackles Umahi