The Governor of Rivers state, Nyesom Wike, has donated N500 million to Sokoto to support the rebuilding of the state’s central market which had a section burnt down on Tuesday morning,
Spokesman to Aminu Tambuwal, Governor of Sokoto, Muhammed Bello, disclosed Wike’s donation in a statement issued on Wednesday.
According to Bello, Wike said the donation is to support the state’s rebuilding efforts, as well as to assist affected traders.
“River state government has pledged the sum of half a billion naira to support Sokoto State government in rebuilding the Sokoto central market ravaged by fire on Tuesday morning,” the statement reads.
“Part of the money, according to Gov. Ezenwo Nyesom Wike of Rivers State, who made the pledge, is also intended to support the victims of the inferno.
“Gov. Wike, who visited Sokoto earlier on Wednesday, barely 24 hours after the disaster, said he was shocked and disturbed when he learnt about it.
“Affirming that whatever affects Sokoto State also concerns Rivers, he said his administration will do all it takes to ensure that the affected market is reconstructed and becomes functional.
“He said a situation where the means of livelihood of the people of Sokoto state, the drive of the government to improve the people’s lives and a broad spectrum of socio-economic wellbeing of many people will be affected, does not augur well for development and progress.”
While showing Wike round the scene of the incident, Tambuwal explained that 16,000 shops were affected.
Note that Atiku Bagudu, governor of Kebbi state, also donated N30 million to the Sokoto government to assist victims of the incident.
Wike’s pledge has since caused angry reactions from different sections especially indigenes from Rivers state, with many questioning the rationale behind the move.
- Oyedepo Backs Regulation of Social Media
- EFCC Will Prosecute Uzor Kalu Again, Says Bawa
- One Student Killed as Troops Rescue Five Abducted From Kebbi School
- COVID Cases in Africa Increased by 52% in One Week, May Get Worse – WHO
- Police: Van Used To Kidnap Kebbi Students Belongs To a Judge — Bandits Hijacked it From Him
- Buhari is Not Sick, He Moved Round Borno For Six Hours – Ali Ndume
- Insecurity: I Feel Safer in Maiduguri Than Abuja – Ndume
- I Don’t Think Gunmen Who Attacked my School Are Nigerians, Says Kebbi Student
- EndSARS protester, Nicolas Mbah regains freedom after spending several months in kirikiri prison
- Uzodimma Seeks Additional State For South East, Defends Buhari on Restructuring