The Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria, has told Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue State it is ready to put an end to senseless killing of innocent people in the state.
The group condemned the governor over the enactment of a law banning open grazing.
Baba Othman Ngelzarma, the National Secretary of MACBAN, made this known in an interview with The PUNCH in Abuja while responding to the accusation by Terver Akase, Ortom’s Chief Secretary, that it was fuelling crises over the law.
But according to Ngelzarma, the doors of MACBAN “will remain open for constructive discussions to find lasting solutions that will bring to an end all these uncivilised behaviours.”
He said, “We are not interested in the exchange of unnecessary comments that will not do anybody any good. As a responsible association, we want to see an end to this senseless killing of innocent people. We, as an association, respect all constituted authorities and believe in law and order and hold all state governors in high esteem as chief security officers of their states.
“We also believe that the Benue State governor has sworn to protect the lives and economic well-being of all his citizens, irrespective of their socioeconomic/ethno-religious backgrounds.
“The law only ends up suffocating both farmers and herders to make them bankrupt. Ortom, as a deeply religious person, knows very well that one day he will be called to account by the Almighty for how he manages his state during his tenure as governor.
“MACBAN is never in any doubt about the position of governors being the controllers of state security and land and the Houses of Assembly being responsible for making laws. But all we desire is justice, equality and fairness in the discharge of their constitutional responsibilities.”
“Our doors will remain open for constructive discussions to find lasting solutions that will bring to an end all this uncivilised behaviours.” He added.
- Anti-Open Grazing: Pro-Buhari Group Says Ortom Doesn’t Hate Buhari, Fulanis
- BREAKING: 3 Policemen Dead, 2 Injured as Gunmen Attack Checkpoint in Anambra
- Zoning: ‘You’re Desperate For Relevance’ — PDP Tackles Umahi
- Nigeria Needs Strong Institutions, Not Powerful Individuals — Shina Peller
- Breaking: Former CBN Deputy Governor Mailafa Obadiah is Dead
- Buhari Grieves Over Ex-Algerian President, Comforts Tebboune
- Niger Police Arrest 259 Criminal Suspects
- 2023: Campaign Poster of Femi Fani-Kayode as Running Mate to Yahaya Bello Surfaces
- Government Must Not Be Left To Fight Insecurity Alone – Lawan
- Police kills Passerby Amid Pursuit of Murder Suspect in Edo