Bandits Kill Police Commander, Vigilante, 6 Others in Plateau
Suspected bandits on Monday evening killed eight persons, including a policeman and a vigilante in Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau State.
The deceased police officer was identified as Abdulrahaman Isah, who is a Commander with the Intelligence Response Team based in Mangu.
The slain vigilante was identified as Hassan Mohammed.
The victims were reportedly attacked and killed at Kwoi community of the council area.
The killing and outright violence in Plateau State was condemned by the President of the Seventh Day Adventist Church, North East Nigerian Conference, Joshua Mallum, during a press conference in Jos on Tuesday.
“A killer is a criminal, hence government must put all ethnic and religious sentiments aside in dealing with these merchants of death threatening our collective peace and existence in Plateau and Nigeria.”
Spokesman for the Plateau State Police Command, Ubah Ogaba, confirming the killings in Mangu said;
“On 23/08/2021 at about 1400hrs, the command received credible information about the activity of a notorious syndicate of gunrunners at Kwoi Village, in Mangu LGA of the State. On receipt of the information, the IGP’s Intelligence Response Team (IRT) based in Mangu, Police Operatives attached to Mangu Division, STF and local vigilante were mobilized and swiftly raced to the area.Advertisement
“On sighting the team, the hoodlums engaged them in a gun duel. But because of the tactical operational capability and superior gunfire of the Operatives, six of the hoodlums were neutralized while others fled with various degrees of bullets wounds.
“Exhibits recovered from them include Three AK 47 Rifles with Breach Nos 868, 106076 and 123487.
“Regrettably, one Insp. Abdulrahaman Isah who is the Commander IGP’s Intelligence Response Team based in Mangu and one Hassan Mohammed a local vigilante gallantly paid the supreme price.”
The police spokesman added that investigation has since commenced.
- Wike to be Honored as Distinguished Governor of the Year on Infrastructural Development
- How APC Used, Dumped George Akume – Tiv Youths
- Buhari Approves Appointment of NNPC Limited’s Board Members
- INEC Office Set Ablaze in Enugu
- Why Nigeria Can’t Adopt Electronic Transmission of Election Results – Kalu
- Nigerian Govt Must Respect Human Rights To Attain National Unity – Gbajabiamila
- Anti-Open Grazing: Pro-Buhari Group Says Ortom Doesn’t Hate Buhari, Fulanis
- BREAKING: 3 Policemen Dead, 2 Injured as Gunmen Attack Checkpoint in Anambra
- Zoning: ‘You’re Desperate For Relevance’ — PDP Tackles Umahi
- Nigeria Needs Strong Institutions, Not Powerful Individuals — Shina Peller