Akeredolu signs Anti-Open Grazing Bill
Governor Rotimi Akeredolu of Ondo State has the long-awaited Anti-Open Grazing Bill into law.
The signing of the bill is in line with resolutions reached by the Southern Governors Forum at its last meeting in Lagos.
The bill signed on Tuesday followed the passage of the bill by the Ondo State House of Assembly a few weeks ago.
A statement by the Commissioner for Information and Orientation, Mr Donald Ojogo, following the signing of the bill by Governor Akeredolu on Tuesday, reads;
“The move ( signing the bill) is in line with the resolution of the Southern Governors’ Forum at its last meeting in Lagos where September 1st was set as the deadline for governors in southern Nigeria to sign the Anti-Open Grazing Bill into law.
“This is worthwhile and a very laudable development aimed at stemming needless instances of skirmishes, conflicts as well as infractions on the enviably peaceful disposition of the good people of Ondo State.
“It is very pertinent to aver and indeed, reiterate that the law shall rather, engender a more cordial, mutually benefiting relationship amongst residents of the state irrespective of ethnicity, religion or creed. For emphasis, no particular group of persons is the target.
“While it is the hope of government that all residents would take an ample advantage of this Law to enhance our socio-economic well being in Ondo State, compliance of same shall be given the utmost attention. Government shall pursue with vigour, through lawful means, to ensure strict compliance.
“In this regard, details of the new law shall be made available to the public for proper information, more depth of understanding on contents as well as other relevant areas,” the statement said.
Ondo has thus become the first state in the South to ban open grazing, beating the deadline of the Southern Governors’ Forum.
- Big Brother Naija: Fans Call EFCC on Organizers, Threaten Protest Over Pere
- Suspected Ritualist Kill, Bury 9-year-old Girl With One Thousand Naira Note in Kwara
- Nigeria’s Tax System is Problematic And Confusing – Fayemi
- Mourinho Blames Referee, VAR For Derby Loss
- APC Wants To Be in Power For Next 40 Years – Former Governor
- Gunmen Attack Community, Kill One, Injure Others in Kwara
- Nigeria Going Through Turbulent Times, We Need To Remain United – Sanwo-Olu
- Please Come To Aid of Benue IDPs – Ortom Begs Nigerians
- At 61, Nigeria Should Be Competing With Developed Countries — Wike
- One Killed, Several Injured As Gunmen Attack Church in Kaduna