Unknown armed men have attacked the Police Area Command and Division in Etim Ekpo Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom State, killing an officer in the process.
The officer identified as Police Constable Edogi Bassey, was shot dead by the hoodlums during an exchange of fire between policemen and the assailants.
The hoodlums also burnt down parts of the station in the attack that took place in the early hours og Wednesday, May 12, 2021.
According to a resident of Essien Udim “the hoodlums invaded Godswill Akpabio Unity hall today(Wednesday) broke the louvres, the ceilings as well as the plastic chairs inside the hall.”
The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Odiko Macdon, confirmed the attack in a statement, saying the hoodlums drove into the station in two vehicles loaded with dangerous weapons including AK-47 rifles.
The statement titled, ‘Police repelled attack at police stations’ read in part “At about 6:30am today, armed men in their numbers, armed with AK 47 rifles and other dangerous weapons, in two vehicles attacked the rented building housing the Etim Ekpo Area Command and Division.
“The undaunted and vigilant police officers on duty gallantly fought back, repelled them and averted the intended carnage.
“Unfortunately, a dedicated officer, one PC Edogi Bassey, paid the supreme price while a small portion of the building was torched.
“The gunmen who proceeded to Ika Division to perpetrate their nefarious activities were successfully again repelled leaving the station intact without loss of lives or arms.”
The statement added that the worrisome situation is being addressed by the police hierarchy and required the collaboration of all, adding that Commissioner of Police in the state, Andrew Amiengheme, had visited police formations and had called on law abiding citizens to volunteer timely information that will enable the police tackle the present security challenges in the state.
- PAP: NDRN Congratulates, Tasks Kemepade on Head of Reintegration Elevation
- Nigeria Has No Excuse for Inadequate Power Supply – Al-Mustapha
- MKO Abiola Remains Most Acceptable Nigerian Democrat – Northern Governor
- Buhari Remains My President, I Pray For Him Every Day, Governor Says
- Killings: We’ve Cried Enough, It’s Now Time For Action – Ortom
- Boko Haram Pays Recruits N5,000 To Spy, Smuggle Weapons – Zulum
- Your Hatred For Biafra Irrelevant, Referendum Nust Take Place – Kanu Tells Leaders
- JUST IN: Olusegun Obasanjo Writes Open Letter To Buhari
- Why I Apologised To My Lesbian Daughter – Charlyboy
- 2023 Elections: Count Me Out of Any Contest – Gov Masari