Anxiety is mounting in Magboro Community, Ogun State over a suspected Cholera outbreak that has taken the lives of at least ten residents.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the suspected Cholera outbreak was first reported on Friday when a resident of the community living in an uncompleted building died.
Two people living with her were said to have died on Saturday.
Magboro Community leaders have begun a house-to-house search for victims to help them get care.
They also sealed some places to curtail further spread of the disease that can kill within hours.
Some of the places were, however, reopened after disinfection.
“The first person that died is a woman; two others living with her in an uncompleted building later died on Saturday,” a resident, who simply identified himself as Solomon, told NAN.
The Secretary of Magboro Community Development Council, Mr. David Ajayi, said that the deaths could have been averted if those affected reported in time.
“We received the report of suspected cholera outbreak when the deed had already been done.
“I can confirm the death of two people. One other person is hospitalized.
“Another reported case was about a young girl taking care of her sick mother in a hospital in Asese, she was also confirmed dead.
“Health officials from Abeokuta came on Saturday and Sunday to have an on-the-spot assessment and take samples from affected persons,” he said.
Ajayi said that the community leaders had been going around the affected areas to put some measures in place to forestall further spread.
“We have been going around since we heard about the outbreak to inspect affected places. What I can confirm is that those places are not hygienic for living.
“The first incident was reported on Oladejo Street, we learnt that they are paying just N50 per day to sleep in the uncompleted building, but the place has been sealed now.
“We need the help of government to relocate the destitute living in open places and uncompleted buildings; those places are not hygienic for living at all,” he said.
- Gulder Ultimate Search Organizers Reveal Date of New Season
- Malami Opens up on Released Boko Haram Sponsors
- Investigate the Death of Oviekeme -Bayelsa CoP
- Young Woman Dies of Breast Cancer Two Weeks After Wedding
- Dog Bites Private Part of Ondo Varsity Student
- Farmer kills Cousin During Fight Over Gossip in Ogun
- Obaseki Releases Long- Awaited Cabinet List
- China Declares All Crypto Transactions Illegal
- Top 5 League Matches in Europe This Weekend
- Stop ‘Illegal Network Installations’ – Police Warn Zamfara Residents