– Says Urhobo Will Produce The Next Governor
President General of Urhobo Progress Union (UPU), Worldwide, Chief (Engr.) Joe Omene, has declared that Ijaws in Delta state have no moral justification to vie for the governorship seat come 2023.
Chief Omene made the declaration when he played host to the Umogun Descendants Union, who seek the support of the UPU in the bid for Okpe Kingdom to produce the next governor of the state.
In an attempt to dampen the agitations of the Ijaws, Omene opined that they are a minority in the state and have no respect for rotational policies.
He also stressed that it is the turn of Delta Central to produce the next governor while insisting that Ijaws cannot be trusted with power.
“Ughelli has produced the governor before through Ibru and Ethiope also through Ibori.”
“Even if they want to go by ethnic nationality and jettison the senatorial district zoning, it will still be Urhobo because we are the largest ethnic group in Delta.
“The Ijaws do not respect rotation and thus do not have any moral justification to vie for the governorship position.
“Stella Omu was senator for four years in Delta South. The Ijaws agitated and said it should be on rotation basis. For 16 years now they refused to relinquish office to either Isoko or Itsekiri in Delta South after they took over from her.
“Even if we say by ethnic nationality it cannot be the Ijaws. They are not even the fourth largest tribe in Delta. Isoko, Anioma, Itsekiri and others are bigger than them in terms of population.”
“So, we can’t even trust them with power,” he opined.
Umogun Descendants Union is an umbrella body for Urhobo indigenes in Okpe, Uvwie and Sapele. The group was led by the Spokesman, Chief Erute during the visit.
- Pastor Killed by Stray Bullet During Morning Devotion in Ebonyi
- “I am Destined to Marry Tonto Dikeh” – Actor Uche Maduagwu Says
- Best Centre-Back in The English Premier League Identified
- Give Independence To RMAFC on Equitable Revenue Allocation – Okowa Tells National Assembly
- Vigiante Slay 11 Bandits, Arrest Others in Kogi
- Despite Numerous Challenges, Nigeria’s Unity Remains Unshaken – FG
- “James Brown is my Spirit Animal”- Toke Makinwa Reveals
- Over 1m Nigerians Completed Voter Registration in 12 weeks – INEC
- Nigerian Customs To Deploy Drones At Seme Border To Check Smuggling
- States Must be Empowered To Harness Resources, Revenues For Development – Wike