A pregnant woman identified as Marian Pelemo has been shot dead by trigger happy operatives of the Nigerian Army.
The sad incident happened on Wednesday at the Magongo, Ogori/Magongo local government council of the state.According to sources, a stray bullet fired by the soldiers who were chasing after a commercial vehicle driver, caused the death of Marian.
Marian was reportedly sitting by the front of her family house in Oturo Quarters when the stray bullet shot by the soldiers hit her.
While speaking to newsmen, Elder brother to the deceased, Mr Idowu Pelemo, narrated that soldiers in a three-vehicle convoy that included a Hilus van with registration number Lokoja 446 KG and another painted in military colour with registration number 014, chased a driver from Ibilo in Edo State to Magongo.
However, the driver jumped out from the vehicle and fled when he got to Magongo. The soldiers shot sporadically in chase of the fleeing driver.It was then Marian who was sitting in front of her house was hit by a stray bullet.
While the security operatives rushed her to the hospital and fled, Marian later died that same night.
“Those men in military uniform normally station their vans along Ageva. From what one of the soldier men told me, he said they wanted to arrest the driver because the driver and some of his colleagues misbehaved to some of their officers in Okene.
“He mentioned that the men in army uniform, following a tip-off ambushed the said driver who was coming from Ibilo in Edo State,” said Mr Pelemo.
Meanwhile, the Public Relations Officer (PRO) of the Nigerian Army in Kogi State, Major Jafaru Muhammed denied the incident ever happened, saying “the Army was not involved in any operations please.”
- Oyedepo Backs Regulation of Social Media
- EFCC Will Prosecute Uzor Kalu Again, Says Bawa
- One Student Killed as Troops Rescue Five Abducted From Kebbi School
- COVID Cases in Africa Increased by 52% in One Week, May Get Worse – WHO
- Police: Van Used To Kidnap Kebbi Students Belongs To a Judge — Bandits Hijacked it From Him
- Buhari is Not Sick, He Moved Round Borno For Six Hours – Ali Ndume
- Insecurity: I Feel Safer in Maiduguri Than Abuja – Ndume
- I Don’t Think Gunmen Who Attacked my School Are Nigerians, Says Kebbi Student
- EndSARS protester, Nicolas Mbah regains freedom after spending several months in kirikiri prison
- Uzodimma Seeks Additional State For South East, Defends Buhari on Restructuring