The Ijaw Youth Council (IYC) has decried the indifference of Governor Obaseki towards the growth and development of Ijaws in Edo State.
This is even as the group congratulated Governor Obaseki and the Edo people as the State marks its 30th anniversary.
In a statement signed by the Zonal Secretary of the Ijaw Youth Council (IYC) Western Zone, Comr. Olu-Derimon Omaghomi, the IYC expressed dissatisfaction with the Obaseki led Government over the need of the Ijaws to feel the impact of good governance.
Comrade Omaghomi echoed that Ijaws are of at least 100 communities in the state and has a potential voting strength during elections, but are grossly marginalized in the State.
The Press Statement reads;
“The Ijaw Youth Council (IYC) Western Zone congratulates Governor Godwin Obaseki on the occasion of the 30th anniversary of Edo State.
“The IYC is hopeful for better days, but decries the gross marginalization of Ijaw people in Edo State who have suffered from previous to present administrations lack of political representation, recognition of our pristine traditional rulers and of course the untenable development of Ijaw Communities, despite our contributions to the economy of the State.
“It is a known fact that from timber, to oil and gas and to agriculture, Ijaw people contributed in immense measure in keeping the economy of Edo State afloat, yet we are recklessly marginalized in every sphere in a State where the Ijaws are the largest tribe in Edo South Senatorial District with over 100 Communities with strong voting strengths.
“However, we reinstate our commitment to building the Edo of our dream, but Gov. Obaseki should introspect the gross marginalization meted to our people.
“Even as we celebrate, we expect that the administration of Gov. Godwin Obaseki will do justice to our plights.”
Recall that Ijaws in Delta state sent a similar note to Governor Ifeanyi Okowa, over gross underdevelopment, despite the huge contributions they make to the economic status of the state.
- Investigate the Death of Oviekeme -Bayelsa CoP
- Young Woman Dies of Breast Cancer Two Weeks After Wedding
- Dog Bites Private Part of Ondo Varsity Student
- Farmer kills Cousin During Fight Over Gossip in Ogun
- Obaseki Releases Long- Awaited Cabinet List
- China Declares All Crypto Transactions Illegal
- Top 5 League Matches in Europe This Weekend
- Stop ‘Illegal Network Installations’ – Police Warn Zamfara Residents
- Probe ‘Accidental Air Strike’ in Yobe – Amnesty Tells FG
- INEC Asks NPC To Provide Data on Dead Nigerians