The National Youth Leader of the All Progressives Congress, Ismaeel Ahmed, has declared that the Federal Government did not ban the use of Twitter, but only suspended its operations in Nigeria.
Ismaeel stated this during press conference heralding the rescheduled Progressive Youths Conference billed to hold next week.
Ahmed said, “The government didn’t ban social media as a lot of people will insinuate. It is very important that we know that because Facebook is still in operation, Instagram is still in operation, WhatsApp is still in operation, and a lot of other social media platforms are still in operation.
“In fact, some people will tell you Twitter is for the elite young people and not necessarily for the general public.
“I think there are far more subscribers on Facebook in Nigeria than there are on Twitter. But haven said that, it is still a very important medium for people.
“So, whatever it is that the government felt to suspend Twitter, not even ban, there was a suspension and of course, there is a conversation going on between the government and the representatives of Twitter and I’m sure it will be resolved.”
Ismaeel, a member of the APC Caretaker/Extraordinary National Convention Planning Committee, further said though was not happy with suspension of the operations of the microblogging site, he sided with government’s decision because Twitter crossed the line by deleting a tweet by President Muhammadu Buhari.
On the proposed conference, Ismaeel noted the President has will declare open the event which will be held at the International Conference Centre, Abuja, on Monday, June 21, 2021.
- PAP: NDRN Congratulates, Tasks Kemepade on Head of Reintegration Elevation
- Nigeria Has No Excuse for Inadequate Power Supply – Al-Mustapha
- MKO Abiola Remains Most Acceptable Nigerian Democrat – Northern Governor
- Buhari Remains My President, I Pray For Him Every Day, Governor Says
- Killings: We’ve Cried Enough, It’s Now Time For Action – Ortom
- Boko Haram Pays Recruits N5,000 To Spy, Smuggle Weapons – Zulum
- Your Hatred For Biafra Irrelevant, Referendum Nust Take Place – Kanu Tells Leaders
- JUST IN: Olusegun Obasanjo Writes Open Letter To Buhari
- Why I Apologised To My Lesbian Daughter – Charlyboy
- 2023 Elections: Count Me Out of Any Contest – Gov Masari