The Federal Government of Nigeria has said it is making efforts to ensure the release of a Nigerian lady, Itunu Babalola, who was handed a ten-year jail term in Cote d’Ivoire.
In a statement issued on Friday, the government, through the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM), headed by Abike Dabiri-Erewa, said it would take up the case and get justice for the 23-year-old victim.
SEE FULL STATEMENT HERE:
NIGERIAN WRONGFULLY INCACERATED IN COTE D’IVOIRE’S PRISON, ITUNU BABALOLA: FACTS OF THE MATTER.
ABUJA, MARCH 19, 2021.
Following painstaking investigations by The Nigerians in Diaspora Commission and the Nigeria Mission in Abidjan, Cote D’ivoire, it is now confirmed that Itunu Babalola, a Nigerian living in Abijan was wronglyfully charged and incarcerated for a crime she did not commit.
According to the Chairman/CEO Nigerians in Diaspora Commission Hon Abike Dabiri-Erewa the Charge D’Affaires of the Nigerian Mission in Côte D’Ivoire ,Mr Mohammed Gana , sent officials of the mission to Bondoukou, a city eight hours outside Abidjan when the case was brought to his attention .. Plans are underway to engage the services of a legal Luninary to prove the innocence of Itunu Babalola at the Court of Appeal after the accused had spent two years out of a ten year jail term for an offense she did not commit
Reports indicate that the new Prosecutor assigned to the case has given assurances of a fair and unbiased review and retrial of the case to secure the release of Itunu Babalola.
Reports also allegedly indicate that the former prosecutor in collaboration with the police twisted the case and accused Itunu Babalolo of human trafficking hence her conviction for 20yrs although the sentence was reduced to 10yrs from which she has served 2yrs so far.
Itunu Babalola whose family is from Oyo State, Nigeria has been living in Bondoukou, Cote d’Ivoire for a long time but got entangled in a legal battle when she reported the burglary of her house to the Police
On efforts made to secure her bail, the prosecutor said it is only the Court that can grant her bail as she has already been convicted
We will continue to monitor the case as it unfolds.
Media, Public Relations and Protocols Unit.
- Breaking: Buhari Approves Appointment Of Usman Alkali As Acting IGP
- Woman Discovers Her Son’s Bride is Her Long Lost Daughter of 20-Years
- Learn From Afonja’s Mistake, Group Tells S’East Govs
- It’s Rude To Keep Bibles In Hotel Rooms – Bisi Alimi
- We Give You 7 Days To Leave Calabar – Group Tells Igbo
- Easter: Joy as Engr Uti Donates Food Items For Widows, Widowers in Ogulagha
- There Are 30,000 Armed Bandits In Zamfara, Five Other Northern States – Gov Matawalle
- Delta Man Set To Wed Two Women Same Day
- CCT Chairman Assaults Security Officer in Abuja, Says ‘The Guard Was Rude’
- Don’t listen to anyone telling you to have kids without a job – Reno Omokri