Armed gunmen have killed a 3-month-old baby, and 12 other people in Benue State.
The kidnappers who attacked some villages in Guma Local Government Area of Benue State, first opened fire on travellers on Uikpam-Umenger road around 3pm on Tuesday, killing five people, including an infant.
The remaining eight people were allegedly killed at Branch Use at 10pm on the same day.
Chairman of Guma local government area, Caleb Aba confirmed the incident, saying;
“There was a burial in Torkula and people who were coming back from the burial came under attack and about five people were killed.
“At about 10 pm, yesterday there was another attack at Branch Ude where about eight people were killed, bringing the total to 13 people killed only yesterday.
“Two people were injured by the information I received and they are now receiving treatment in the hospital.”
The deceased baby’s mother, Sewuese Baaji who said they had travelled from Makurdi to Umenger village for the burial of her husband’s relative.
“We were on our way returning to Makurdi from Umenger village en route Torkula where the body of the late man was buried when we suddenly ran into an ambush by the gunmen who opened gunfire at our vehicle at about 3 pm just before Uikpam community.
“Our driver did not stop but drove in the midst of the chaos until we got off the attackers’ web.
“The bullets however hit my baby (whom I carried on my laps) on the chest and my lap too. My baby died instantly.”Advertisement
Another wounded woman, Hambafan Akuma who was also carrying a baby, disclosed that a bullet tore into her wrapper and wounded her on the thigh. The baby was however saved from the rains of the bullets opened on their vehicle by the gunmen who took them unawares.
An eyewitness, David Mzer also said he was in a car with some friends on their way to Umenger for a political meeting, when they observed that the vehicle in front of them was fired at severally, forcing them to turn back to Makurdi.
“The herdsmen blocked the road, and opened fire on a Toyota Picnic, killing a 3 month-old baby who was shot in the chest, and his mother was shot on her lap.
“My colleague, who was directly behind the Toyota Picnic on seeing the herders shot at the car in front of him, turned and returned to Uikpam.
“The herders didn’t stop there, a certain Terver from Uvir, who was conveying his wife, had their life taken from them. A certain Solomon Kumaiin was butchered by the killers.
“The body of Terver and his wife were immediately taken to a mortuary in Daudu, while the injured were brought to BSUTH for treatment.”
- Buratai, Malami Behind Igboho’s Detention in Benin Republic – Yoruba Nation agitators
- “I’m the last of the males” Obi Cubana Writes as he Shares Picture with his Elder Brothers
- Sexy Photos of Bbnaija Housemate Maria Chike
- Anti-Open Grazing Bill: Miyetti Allah Demands 30,000 sq metres of Land in Delta
- Soldiers Shutdown Market, asks Traders to Remain at Home “Until Biafra is Achieved” in Imo
- #BBNaija: “I made my first million at 19” – Arin
- 63-year-old Man Publicly Flogged and Fined for attempting to Sleep with Daughter-in-law
- Bandits Attack Gov Uzodinma’s Hometown, Kill DPO in Imo
- Househelp, Three Others Arrested Over Murder of Banker in Yobe
- Nnamdi Kanu: Buhari Has Collapsed Nigeria’s Democracy – Deji Adeyanju