Suspected Fulani herdsmen on Tuesday attacked Yelewata community, Guma Local Government Area in Benue State kills eights persons including a woman and her four children.
The gunmen stormed the community which shares a border with Nasarawa State at about 7:30 pm on Tuesday, August 24, 2021, while the villagers were still at the market square as it was a market day.
A woman, her 4 children, and 3 other persons were killed.
Principal Special Assistant to the Benue State Governor, Franc Fagah Utoo who is an indigene of the community, condoled with Mr. Peter Akera whose wife and four children were killed during the attack. He also sympathized with others who lost their loved ones describing the incident as an unacceptable act.
According to Franc Fagah Utoo, late Akera’s wife gave birth to their children after two miscarriages.
“Yesterday (Tuesday) was Yelwata market day and the people were still in the market around 7pm when the armed herdsmen came and started shooting sporadically. In the end, eight people were killed, two persons were injured and one other person was abducted and is yet to be released till now. The injured have been taken to a private hospital for treatment since the doctors in government hospitals are still on strike.” he said.Advertisement
Spokesperson of the command, DSP Catherine Anene, who confirmed the attack said the police had a record of six deaths while two others sustained injuries.
“Yesterday (Tuesday) August 24, at about 7:45pm we received an information that unknown gunmen invaded Yelewata community and attacked the first compound or house that is nearest to the forest. When they opened fire, the police men posted to Yelewata area responded immediately and were able to repel them,” she stated.
- BBNaija S6: Yousef and Saskay Are Evicted
- Wike to be Honored as Distinguished Governor of the Year on Infrastructural Development
- How APC Used, Dumped George Akume – Tiv Youths
- Buhari Approves Appointment of NNPC Limited’s Board Members
- INEC Office Set Ablaze in Enugu
- Why Nigeria Can’t Adopt Electronic Transmission of Election Results – Kalu
- Nigerian Govt Must Respect Human Rights To Attain National Unity – Gbajabiamila
- Anti-Open Grazing: Pro-Buhari Group Says Ortom Doesn’t Hate Buhari, Fulanis
- BREAKING: 3 Policemen Dead, 2 Injured as Gunmen Attack Checkpoint in Anambra
- Zoning: ‘You’re Desperate For Relevance’ — PDP Tackles Umahi