As Nigerians still anticipate what becomes of the embattled Deputy Commissioner of Police, Abba Kyari over his aledged involvement with international Cyber fraudster, Hushpuppi, a constitutional lawyer and Human Rights Activist, Mike Ozekhome, SAN, has given a reason why the United States’ Federal Bureau of Investigation, FBI, cannot just come to Nigeria to arrest the suspended DCP, without going through the proper constituational process.
Kyari has been indicted by the US’ FBI authority in a fraud case against, Ramon Abass, popularly known as Hushpuppi in the United States.
A court in the United States has therefore ordered the FBI to arrest Mr. Kyari and bring him to face Justice in the country.
In reaction to the development, Ozekhome, while spoke to Arise News on Monday, insisted that the FBI cannot just come to Nigeria to arrest Kyari without going through an extradition process.
He said, “When America demanded Abba Kyari, I heard people say the FBI can now arrest Abba Kyari. No, you can’t do that.
“Nigeria is a sovereign country, for crying out loud, no matter how down in the doldrums we’ve become.
“The FBI can’t simply come here and pick up Abba Kyari. You must go through the extradition process as established in the Extradition Act of the laws of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 2004. You’ve to look at Sections 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 of the extradition act.”
“Going through extradition, the Attorney General of the country has a crucial role to play under the Extradition Act, he and a magistrate, or under Section 251 of the constitution, a judge of a federal high court.
“The country requesting for extradition, like the US, must make a formal request through its consular or representative in Nigeria that we want this man in our country.”
- Gulder Ultimate Search Organizers Reveal Date of New Season
- Malami Opens up on Released Boko Haram Sponsors
- Investigate the Death of Oviekeme -Bayelsa CoP
- Young Woman Dies of Breast Cancer Two Weeks After Wedding
- Dog Bites Private Part of Ondo Varsity Student
- Farmer kills Cousin During Fight Over Gossip in Ogun
- Obaseki Releases Long- Awaited Cabinet List
- China Declares All Crypto Transactions Illegal
- Top 5 League Matches in Europe This Weekend
- Stop ‘Illegal Network Installations’ – Police Warn Zamfara Residents