Grammy award winning Nigeria singer, Damini Ogulu, popularly known as Burna Boy, says he would have won a Grammy in 2013 if the country had leadership that takes the youths seriously.
The “monster you made” singer won the ‘Best Global Music Album’ category at the 2021 Grammys.
Speaking in an interview with BBC Africa on Saturday, the Odogwu of Africa said he would have achieved the feat earlier if he had the right environment and support.
He said: “If the environment was conducive and we had a leadership which took the youth seriously and certain infrastructure in place, I probably won’t be winning a Grammy in 2021. I probably would have won in 2013 or 2014.
“I’m the stone that the builders refused when it comes to, you know, being here (in music). I was very relieved because I deserved it. I was hoping a situation wouldn’t happen where I didn’t get what I deserved.”
Burna Boy said his experience should inspire others that they can succeed regardless of the odds.
He added: “I saw this moment happening back in 2012. I just realised it (the music struggle) was bigger than me. It’s like I used to do this on the streets, and everyone is going crazy, but now I don’t see anyone better than me.
“So, it’s like this is serious now. Anything is possible. Wherever you find yourself doesn’t determine your future or stop you from not considering your dreams.
“In the end, we’re in an environment that doesn’t believe in itself before they even think of believing in you.”
- Breaking: Buhari Approves Appointment Of Usman Alkali As Acting IGP
- Woman Discovers Her Son’s Bride is Her Long Lost Daughter of 20-Years
- Learn From Afonja’s Mistake, Group Tells S’East Govs
- It’s Rude To Keep Bibles In Hotel Rooms – Bisi Alimi
- We Give You 7 Days To Leave Calabar – Group Tells Igbo
- Easter: Joy as Engr Uti Donates Food Items For Widows, Widowers in Ogulagha
- There Are 30,000 Armed Bandits In Zamfara, Five Other Northern States – Gov Matawalle
- Delta Man Set To Wed Two Women Same Day
- CCT Chairman Assaults Security Officer in Abuja, Says ‘The Guard Was Rude’
- Don’t listen to anyone telling you to have kids without a job – Reno Omokri