Governor of Bayelsa state, Senator Douye Diri has declared that no part of Ijaw Nation or its whole is for sale.
The Miracle Governor made the declaration while speaking at the inauguration ceremony of the National Executive Council of the Ijaw National Congress, INC.
Expressing excitement that the Ijaw National Congress is back on it’s feat, Senator Diri said “Chinua Achebe once said ‘the centre cannot hold again. But today, the centre is holding.”
The former lawmaker in a charge to Prof Benjamin Okaba, the newly inaugurated President, demanded for uprightness and true patriotism in the exhibition of duties from the National Executive Council.
Stressing that Ijaw Nation is not for sale, Governor Diri called on the revered scholar to be for and with the Ijaws as a defender and a propagator of her course without fear or favor.
“We are the original owners and occupants of the largest coastline in Nigeria and we’ll hand it over to our children. Nobody can threaten Ijaw Nation.
“Mr President, from your inaugural speech, I am convinced you know what you’re here for and you are capable to deliver. Ijaw Nation is not for sale,” the Governor stressed.
Prof Benjamin Okaba had in his inaugural address, promised a straightforward exhibition of duties, saying “moving forward, the spirit of Ijawcentrism must not be compromised.”
“In furtherance to our unalloyed commitment to promoting the Ijaw identity,and heritage, I have proposed to the INC National Executive Council to institute the appropriate statutory committee of congress to prepare a bill for the establishment of Ijaw Language and Culture Academy.
“When passed into law, it would among other things facilitate the development of a common/standard Ijaw language and the teaching and learning of Izon in our institutions of learning,” the INC President added.
- PAP: NDRN Congratulates, Tasks Kemepade on Head of Reintegration Elevation
- Nigeria Has No Excuse for Inadequate Power Supply – Al-Mustapha
- MKO Abiola Remains Most Acceptable Nigerian Democrat – Northern Governor
- Buhari Remains My President, I Pray For Him Every Day, Governor Says
- Killings: We’ve Cried Enough, It’s Now Time For Action – Ortom
- Boko Haram Pays Recruits N5,000 To Spy, Smuggle Weapons – Zulum
- Your Hatred For Biafra Irrelevant, Referendum Nust Take Place – Kanu Tells Leaders
- JUST IN: Olusegun Obasanjo Writes Open Letter To Buhari
- Why I Apologised To My Lesbian Daughter – Charlyboy
- 2023 Elections: Count Me Out of Any Contest – Gov Masari