Ajibola Basiru, spokesman of the Nigerian senate, says Nigerians should petition the senate if they think Lauretta Onochie, an INEC commissioner nominee, is not qualified to be a national commissioner at the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
Senate President Ahmad Lawan, on Wednesday, directed the committee on INEC to screen Onochie and some others.
Speaking with reporters at the national assembly, Basiru said the fact that the nomination was referred to a committee does not mean she will automatically be confirmed.
“The fact that a matter is referred to a committee does not mean that the committee will affirm to such confirmation, and I agree, in the past, there have been instances where references have been made to committees, and they were returned unconfirmed or stepped down by the committee,” he said.
“I would rather say that we keep the gunpowder till the committee comes up with recommendations.
“As Nigerians, if you feel she is not qualified, you are entitled to file a petition before the committee.
“I challenge Nigerians who strongly believe that the nomination is inappropriate to approach the committee and challenge it in the exercise to see that the country is governed according to the law.”
Basiru said the senate will address the suspension of Twitter, a microblogging platform, “at the appropriate time”.
“As a lawyer, I am of the opinion that whatever the basics of rule of law, is that there will be legal basis for legislative and executive actions,” he said.
“So, I’m not here to talk about that. But if the senate considers it, we will be able to have a front. We will address it at the appropriate time.”
- PAP: NDRN Congratulates, Tasks Kemepade on Head of Reintegration Elevation
- Nigeria Has No Excuse for Inadequate Power Supply – Al-Mustapha
- MKO Abiola Remains Most Acceptable Nigerian Democrat – Northern Governor
- Buhari Remains My President, I Pray For Him Every Day, Governor Says
- Killings: We’ve Cried Enough, It’s Now Time For Action – Ortom
- Boko Haram Pays Recruits N5,000 To Spy, Smuggle Weapons – Zulum
- Your Hatred For Biafra Irrelevant, Referendum Nust Take Place – Kanu Tells Leaders
- JUST IN: Olusegun Obasanjo Writes Open Letter To Buhari
- Why I Apologised To My Lesbian Daughter – Charlyboy
- 2023 Elections: Count Me Out of Any Contest – Gov Masari