Human rights lawyer, Inibehe Effiong has described the national assembly as “national embarrassment.”
The human rights lawyer stated this on Tuesday at the 13th Wole Soyinka Centre media lecture series tagged ‘Remaking Nigeria: Towards a Secure and Viable Union’.
“The battle to salvage our country, the battle to rescue or revive the soul of our nation lies squarely with the Nigerian people, because the national assembly has become a national embarrassment. We cannot depend on the parliament,” he said.
“We shouldn’t pretend about these things. We shouldn’t be diplomatic about it, because those who are oppressing us are not diplomatic. So, we must speak to them in the language they understand.
“Nigerians must take up the fight either through public interest litigation. We must continue to challenge executive impunity. And I must also say kudos to the Nigerian press for the solidarity we saw yesterday. That is the language they understand.”
“Part of the problem we have as a country is the idea that protest is not helpful. You may have your own interpretation about the #EndSARS protest, the ups and the downs, but one lesson of history from the protest is that a truly people united can never be defeated,” he said.
“The day the Nigerian people say they have had it enough, there is no military deployment, ‘crocodile smile’ or ‘dancing python’ that will be able to suppress the determination of our people.”
- Buratai, Malami Behind Igboho’s Detention in Benin Republic – Yoruba Nation agitators
- “I’m the last of the males” Obi Cubana Writes as he Shares Picture with his Elder Brothers
- Sexy Photos of Bbnaija Housemate Maria Chike
- Anti-Open Grazing Bill: Miyetti Allah Demands 30,000 sq metres of Land in Delta
- Soldiers Shutdown Market, asks Traders to Remain at Home “Until Biafra is Achieved” in Imo
- #BBNaija: “I made my first million at 19” – Arin
- 63-year-old Man Publicly Flogged and Fined for attempting to Sleep with Daughter-in-law
- Bandits Attack Gov Uzodinma’s Hometown, Kill DPO in Imo
- Househelp, Three Others Arrested Over Murder of Banker in Yobe
- Nnamdi Kanu: Buhari Has Collapsed Nigeria’s Democracy – Deji Adeyanju