Kaduna State Governor, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai has thrown his weight behind the call for devolution of power between the Federal Government and 36 states in the country.
The governor who was one of the speakers at a programme called ‘Radio Now’s Urgent Conversation’ aired Thursday on Channels Television said state police and devolution of the judiciary is important to save Nigeria from the brink of collapse.
“I will dwell on three of the issues that I believe are critical to the immediate needs of the country to pull back from the brink.
“The first, it is imperative for Federal, state, and community policing. We do not have enough police. One centralised police for the country just has not worked.
“Secondly, we must amend the constitution and relevant laws to ensure control of oil and gas, mines, and minerals in the states that already have control over land under the land use Act with royalties and taxes payable to the Federal Government and the Federation Account
“Number three, we must rectify the anomaly of a Federation that has a more or less unitary judiciary,” the governor explained.
“My first recommendation is to implement the three key devolution proposals that I mentioned above. Give us state police now, vest all minerals in the state now, and decentralised our judiciary now, not tomorrow, not later.”
“It is an understatement to say that Nigeria is in one of its most difficult moments. The genuine fears for their lives and property felt by many citizens across the country need to be assuaged. All responsible persons must show compassion to our compatriots that have been affected while calming nerves.
“Banditry is a national problem, with victims from all parts of the country, and we should address it with a common resolve,” El-Rufai said.
- Photos: Vehicles Set Ablaze as Hoodlums Attack INEC Office in Enugu
- #BringBackGEJ: Youths Begin Campaign For Jonathan to Contest 2023
- Miyetti Allah Tells Herdsmen to Vacate South South
- You’re on Expired Drugs, Aisha Yesufu Blasts Those Against Southern Governors
- 70-Year-Old Man Arrested For Stealing Human Hair in Ondo
- Breaking: Gunmen Burn Down Police Station, Vehicles in Delta
- Video: Leicester City Players Dance to ‘Over The Moon’ by Dr Sid After FA Cup Victory
- BREAKING: Leicester City Beats Chelsea to Win First FA Cup
- Delta 2023: Next Governor Must be Fair to Anioma Nation – Governor Okowa
- BREAKING: JAMB Announces New Date For 2021 UTME