‘I’ve Been Managing Diabetes For 35 Years – Olusegun Obasanjo
Former President of Nigeria, Olusegun Obasanjo has revealed he has diabetes, and has been managing it for 35 years.
The revered elder statesman made the disclosure during the closing ceremony of the Ogun State Diabetes Youth Development Camp held in Abeokuta, on Wednesday.
Obasanjo, while explaining how he has been managing diabetes, decried that many of his friends died of the disease as a result of their incapability to manage it.
While advising young diabetic patients on how to manage diabetes, the ex-military head of state maintained that diabetes is not a killer disease.
He further advised young diabetic patients to keep to the prescriptions given them by their doctors.
“I have been diagnosed with diabetes for more than 35 years now and here I am, I’m still going about, I’m still jumping up and down, I’m still doing many things many people of my age cannot do.
“Since I was diagnosed with diabetes, a number of my friends have died and the reason is that they just did not manage their diabetes the way they should manage it.Advertisement
“It does not matter whether you are type one or type two, so far there is no cure for diabetes, maybe there will be a cure before I die, but I pray that there will be a cure before you die.
“You have to understand the type of food you should eat, you must completely abstain from sugar. The number of carbohydrates that you take must be watched.
“Don’t miss your drugs, in your own case, your insulin injection, I take my drugs along with me everywhere I go and I always check my blood sugar level regularly.
“Don’t let anybody put fear in your minds, diabetes, has no cure for now, but it can be managed.”
Coordinator of the camp, Dr Olubiyi Adesina, explained that the gathering issue out information and to encourage young people living with type-1 diabetes as well.
- EPL: How Can You Sign Ben White for €58.50million– Gallas Faults Arsenal
- Katsina Female Hunter Vows To Defeat Bandits
- Police Arrest Three Women Concealing Petrol in Bags For Bandits in Katsina [VIDEO]
- El-Rufai Struggling To Export Banditry To The South – Akeredolu
- EFCC Arrest 26 Internet Fraud Suspects in Delta State
- We Will Not Allow Foreign Terrorists Overrun Nigeria – Army
- Decentralization of VAT Collection Will Favour Every State – Udom Emmanuel
- EPL: Your Playing Style Vexes me –Ince Lambastes Man United stars
- Gas Crisis May Increase Oil Prices By $10 – Mele Kyari
- Gov AbdulRazaq to Embark on FG Roadworks in Kwara North Prior to next rainy season -Rotimi