The Kogi state government has said many of the inmates who escaped during a jailbreak in the state have been re-arrested.
Suspected bandits attacked the Kabba Correctional facility in the early hours of Monday, freeing many inmates and killing two soldiers.
Reacting to the incident in a statement on Monday, Kingsley Fanwo, the state commissioner for information, said security agencies were working to apprehend the perpetra tors, adding
The statement reads: “We can confirm that some gunmen attacked the Kabba Custodial Centre but investigations are still on to clearly ascertain the number of inmates that escaped from the centre. We also lost two security operatives. That is the number we have at the moment,”
Also Read: Gunmen Abduct Four Travellers in Ekiti
“The state security adviser, commander Jerry Omodara (rtd) is currently at the centre with the Kogi state commissioner of police and the commander, army records, Lokoja.
“Security agencies have zeroed in to ensure those who escaped are rearrested as well as trail the masterminds of the attack. We have confidence in our security agencies to unmask the masterminds responsible for the attack and get them apprehended.
“Our security network has led to the rearrest of majority of the inmates that escaped as some have also come back to the centre on their own.
“Security agencies, traditional rulers and local hunters are working in synergy to ensure normalcy.”
He urged residents of the state and neighboring states to volunteer information that will ensure the apprehension of the masterminds of the onslaught.
He further said: “Our people should go about their normal businesses as security agencies are doing their best to ensure security of lives and property in the face of the unfortunate breach,”
- Big Brother Naija: Fans Call EFCC on Organizers, Threaten Protest Over Pere
- Suspected Ritualist Kill, Bury 9-year-old Girl With One Thousand Naira Note in Kwara
- Nigeria’s Tax System is Problematic And Confusing – Fayemi
- Mourinho Blames Referee, VAR For Derby Loss
- APC Wants To Be in Power For Next 40 Years – Former Governor
- Gunmen Attack Community, Kill One, Injure Others in Kwara
- Nigeria Going Through Turbulent Times, We Need To Remain United – Sanwo-Olu
- Please Come To Aid of Benue IDPs – Ortom Begs Nigerians
- At 61, Nigeria Should Be Competing With Developed Countries — Wike
- One Killed, Several Injured As Gunmen Attack Church in Kaduna