Minister of state for labour and employment, Festus Keyamo says governor of Zamfara, Bello Matawalle’s decision to defect to the All Progressives Congress, APC is not in violation of any law.
PDP had threatened to make Matawalle’s seat vacant if he joined the ruling party.
But in a statement on Tuesday, Keyamo described PDP as a comedy troupe, saying there is no law against the governor’s Defection.
The Minister said “To give its illogical assertions some veil of constitutionality, the PDP placed reliance on Section 221 of the 1999 Constitution (as amended) as well as the judgment of the Supreme Court in FALEKE V. INEC,” the minister said.
“Unfortunately for the PDP, the Supreme Court decision in Faleke v. INEC does not relate to the consequence of the defection of a Governor from one political party to the other.
“It is extremely laughable that the PDP that celebrated the defection of Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue State and Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo State from the APC to the PDP with such elaborate ballyhoo and fanfare would muster the effrontery to attempt to remove Governor Bello Matawalle from office for defecting to the APC.
“Once again, it is simply ridiculous.”
While citing a number of supreme court cases, Keyamo argued that a party’s ticket is only a vehicle to get elected.
“Once elected, the governor drops that party ticket and becomes a free agent for EVERYONE in that state,” he said.
“He is therefore free to associate as he likes to any political party. The supreme court judgment on Zamfara did not proscribe APC as a political party in the state.
“I also wonder the audacity the PDP has to directly instruct banks not to transact any business with a duly elected Governor. This is such a joke that it portrays the PDP as a comedy troupe.
“It is also very seditious to attempt to shut down or take over the government of Zamfara state without a court order and by unconstitutional means.”
- Buratai, Malami Behind Igboho’s Detention in Benin Republic – Yoruba Nation agitators
- “I’m the last of the males” Obi Cubana Writes as he Shares Picture with his Elder Brothers
- Sexy Photos of Bbnaija Housemate Maria Chike
- Anti-Open Grazing Bill: Miyetti Allah Demands 30,000 sq metres of Land in Delta
- Soldiers Shutdown Market, asks Traders to Remain at Home “Until Biafra is Achieved” in Imo
- #BBNaija: “I made my first million at 19” – Arin
- 63-year-old Man Publicly Flogged and Fined for attempting to Sleep with Daughter-in-law
- Bandits Attack Gov Uzodinma’s Hometown, Kill DPO in Imo
- Househelp, Three Others Arrested Over Murder of Banker in Yobe
- Nnamdi Kanu: Buhari Has Collapsed Nigeria’s Democracy – Deji Adeyanju