Lionel Messi Leaves Barcelona
The Copa America winner will leave the Catalan side after 21 years stint at the club following a breakdown in negotiations over a new contract today.
Earlier, he was said to have agreed on a deal with Barca, but the Camp Nou side confirmed today he would be leaving the club.
His last contract ended in June 2021, and the club and fans were hopeful he would sign a new deal.
Messi’s party held talks with the Spanish heavyweight, and both parties were hopeful of an agreement to see the Argentine stay at the club.
According to a statement on the club’s website, it reads;
“Despite FC Barcelona And Lionel Messi has reached an agreement and the clear intention of both parties to sign a new contract today, this cannot happen because of financial and structural obstacles (Spanish Liga regulations).
“As a result of this situation, Messi shall not be staying on at FC Barcelona. Both parties deeply regret that the wishes of the player and the club will ultimately not be fulfilled.
“FC Barcelona wholeheartedly expresses its gratitude to the player for his contribution to the aggrandizement of the club and wishes him all the very best for the future in his personal and professional life.”
What was Barca’s agreement with Messi?
He agreed to put pen to a five-year contract with the Spanish side and cut 50 percent of his wages.
Due to the Spanish heavyweight financial status, it was impossible to sign and even register him for the 2021/22 season.
Messi’s Career at Barcelona?
He came to Camp Nou at the young of 13 and passed through the La Masia system. He made his debut in 2003 at 16 years old. Ever his debut, he has grown to be the leading man for the Spanish side.
The Argentine won everything at Barcelona, including four champions league and ten La Liga titles.
Messi’s next team
The prolific goal scorer has been linked heavily to PSG and Man City in the past but is left for the prolific goal scorer to chose.
Also, it is said that a move to his boyhood club is likely.
- “I am Destined to Marry Tonto Dikeh” – Actor Uche Maduagwu Says
- Best Centre-Back in The English Premier League Identified
- Give Independence To RMAFC on Equitable Revenue Allocation – Okowa Tells National Assembly
- Vigiante Slay 11 Bandits, Arrest Others in Kogi
- Despite Numerous Challenges, Nigeria’s Unity Remains Unshaken – FG
- “James Brown is my Spirit Animal”- Toke Makinwa Reveals
- Over 1m Nigerians Completed Voter Registration in 12 weeks – INEC
- Nigerian Customs To Deploy Drones At Seme Border To Check Smuggling
- States Must be Empowered To Harness Resources, Revenues For Development – Wike
- My Vision For United Nigeria Driving Me Crazy – Okorocha