Man Gets 30-month Jail Term for Calling Gov Fintiri ‘Father of all Thieves’ in Adamawa
A businessman, Ali Yakubu Numan has been sentenced to two-and-a-half-year in prison for allegedly calling Governor Ahmadu Umaru Fintiri of Adamawa state the ‘Father of all thieves.’
The judgment was meted on Ali by a Yola Chief Magistrate Court II, presided by Magistrate Japhet Basani. Numan was sentenced to a two-year jail term with an option of a N50, 000 fine for using abusive language against Fintiri.
He was further sentenced for 6 months without an option of fine for allegedly disturbing public peace.
The businessman was remanded in prison after he was arraigned by Attorney General of Adamawa State for defamation, for describing Governor Fintiri, as ” a thief and father of thieves.”
Numan was found guilty of both charges brought against him by Magistrate Basani ruling on Wednesday.Numan, had reportedly wrote and published insulting statements in Hausa and Fulfulde languages on his Facebook page against the Governor on the 11th, 12th, 13th, 17th, 20th and 29th July, 2021.
In the publications, Numan described Governor Fintiri as a thief and father of all thieves in Nigeria, alleging he stole Indomie, spaghetti and hundreds of billions from the State.
A. M. Iliyasu, and M.A. Adamu, counsels to the complainant, presented two witnesses who testified in court and also tendered confessional statements in both English and Hausa language as well as other exhibits against the defendant.
On his part, R. N. Agav, counsel to the defendant and now convict pleaded for the court to temper justice with mercy, as his client is a first time offender.
- Boko Haram Attack Yobe Community
- Big Brother Naija: Fans Call EFCC on Organizers, Threaten Protest Over Pere
- Suspected Ritualist Kill, Bury 9-year-old Girl With One Thousand Naira Note in Kwara
- Nigeria’s Tax System is Problematic And Confusing – Fayemi
- Mourinho Blames Referee, VAR For Derby Loss
- APC Wants To Be in Power For Next 40 Years – Former Governor
- Gunmen Attack Community, Kill One, Injure Others in Kwara
- Nigeria Going Through Turbulent Times, We Need To Remain United – Sanwo-Olu
- Please Come To Aid of Benue IDPs – Ortom Begs Nigerians
- At 61, Nigeria Should Be Competing With Developed Countries — Wike