The police command in Ogun State has arrested a young man identified as Opeyemi Ganiyu, for allegedly beating and stabbing his mother-in-law Abosede Oyewole, to death in Atan Ota area of the state.
The command said Ganiyu had beaten up the deceased before stabbing her in the belly for mediating in a quarrel between him and his wife, whom he had beaten up several times.
Trending: NECO Releases 2020 SSCE Results
Oyewole had gone to the couple’s house on Tuesday to settle their quarrel when Ganiyu descended on her and also stabbed her by the ribs.
A statement by the police indicated the suspect had beaten up and inflicted serious injuries on his wife, before the arrival of his mother-in-law.
The Ogun state police spokesman, DSP Abimbola Oyeyemi said, “The suspect was arrested following a report made at Atan Ota divisional headquarters by one Odunayo Mathew, who reported that the suspect, who is married to the daughter of the deceased, is fond of beating his wife on slight provocation.
“On the fateful day, the suspect, as usual, beaten up his wife and inflicted injuries on her, and that is the reason why the deceased went to meet him in order to warn him to desist from beating her daughter.
“On sighting the deceased in his house, the suspect descended heavily on her, beat her mercilessly before stabbing her in the ribs with a knife.
“The deceased was rushed to an hospital for treatment, but gave up the ghost in the process. Having heard that the victim has died, the suspect took to flight. The police at Atan Ota embarked on intelligence based investigation, which led them to his hideout in Ikorodu Lagos state where he was eventually apprehended.
“Preliminary investigation revealed that, the suspect is a member of notorious cult group in the area. He was also one of those who led hoodlums to burn down Atan Ota police division during the EndSARS protest, and killed the divisional crime officer on October 21.”
In another news, a lady has been declared missing after leaving the house to withdraw money from am Automated Teller Machine.
The young lady identified simply as Boluwatife had gone to make transactions upon the request of her mother.
- PAP: NDRN Congratulates, Tasks Kemepade on Head of Reintegration Elevation
- Nigeria Has No Excuse for Inadequate Power Supply – Al-Mustapha
- MKO Abiola Remains Most Acceptable Nigerian Democrat – Northern Governor
- Buhari Remains My President, I Pray For Him Every Day, Governor Says
- Killings: We’ve Cried Enough, It’s Now Time For Action – Ortom
- Boko Haram Pays Recruits N5,000 To Spy, Smuggle Weapons – Zulum
- Your Hatred For Biafra Irrelevant, Referendum Nust Take Place – Kanu Tells Leaders
- JUST IN: Olusegun Obasanjo Writes Open Letter To Buhari
- Why I Apologised To My Lesbian Daughter – Charlyboy
- 2023 Elections: Count Me Out of Any Contest – Gov Masari