The Niger Delta Peace Volunteers, Eastern Niger Delta Zone, has upbraided the Ijaw Youths Council, IYC, for its attack on Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State, and described a statement credited to the IYC which stated that Governor Wike cannot stop a protest against NDDC in Rivers State, as provocative.
Wike had had few days ago threatened to mobilise against protesters at the NDDC headquarters in Port Harcourt, saying that NDDC does not belong to any ethnic group but to all people of the Niger Delta.
A statement by leader of the group, Mr Alaska Jogodo, while responding to the IYC, reads: “Saying that Governor Wike as Chief Security Officer of Rivers state cannot stop a purported protest at the NDDC is provocative and liable to bring ethnic divide in a fragile Niger Delta region.”
“No excuse for unbridled words to question stipulated authorities in the Niger Delta. We must move past the temptation of raising dust over trivial issues of the NDDC.
“The IYC has to be careful not to be seen as been sponsored by suspected quarters to bring a breakdown of law and order in the region, other ethnic groups are grumbling over the excesses of IYC on issues in NDDC, Presidential Amnesty Programme and the Niger Delta Ministry.
“No group has a monopoly of the suffering and environmental degradation, military invasion, etc, and the agitation for resource control has been a collective struggle.”
- Former Rivers APC Chairman Resigns After Supreme Court Loss
- Two Farmers Killed During Clash With Herders in Ekiti
- Two Nigerians to Die by Hanging Over Kidnapping, Killing in Ghana
- Bandits Attack Kaduna Airport Staff Quarters, Abduct 12
- Nobody is Safe Until Everyone Is Vaccinated – FG
- Governor Bello Speaks on Negotiating with Criminals
- Army Officer, Girlfriend Arrested For Aiding Banditry In Zamfara
- Birthday: Walter Extols Epistle Jemine at 54
- Governor Diri Hails Security Agencies For Low Crime Rate in Bayelsa
- Petrol Tanker Explodes In Ogun Community