The minority caucus in the Federal House of Representatives has rejected the the move by President Muhammadu Buhari in appointing a sole administrator for the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC).
The caucus described the act as a total disservice to the people of the Niger Delta region and called on President Buhari to inaugurate a substantive governing board for the NDDC as required by the Act that established the commission without any further delay.
In a statement by the Minority Leader of the House of Representatives, Hon. Ndudi Elumelu on Sunday, the caucus labeled the move by the President “as a further pathway to deprive the people of the Niger Delta of the much desired infrastructural development in their area”.
It stressed that “the recourse to a sole administrator instead of the governing board, is ill-advised as it will promote corruption, alienate the people, trigger disagreements and worsen the managerial sleaze that is crippling the commission and impeding the development of the area.
Continuing, “the earlier resort to an Interim Management Committee and now a sole administrator, instead of a governing board, has heightened apprehensions in the region. This is not healthy, particularly given the strategic place the Niger Delta occupies in national economy and development.
“Our caucus therefore urges President Buhari to douse the tension by immediately inaugurating a governing board for the NDDC as provided for in the establishment Act, so that the people of the Niger Delta region can start enjoying the much-needed infrastructural development through a properly constituted commission,” Ndudi said.
The Prof Pondei Kemebradikumo led Interim Management Committee of the NDDC was sacked on Saturday by the Presidency, with Akwa Effiong getting appointed as a Sole Administrator for the Commission.
- Photos: Vehicles Set Ablaze as Hoodlums Attack INEC Office in Enugu
- #BringBackGEJ: Youths Begin Campaign For Jonathan to Contest 2023
- Miyetti Allah Tells Herdsmen to Vacate South South
- You’re on Expired Drugs, Aisha Yesufu Blasts Those Against Southern Governors
- 70-Year-Old Man Arrested For Stealing Human Hair in Ondo
- Breaking: Gunmen Burn Down Police Station, Vehicles in Delta
- Video: Leicester City Players Dance to ‘Over The Moon’ by Dr Sid After FA Cup Victory
- BREAKING: Leicester City Beats Chelsea to Win First FA Cup
- Delta 2023: Next Governor Must be Fair to Anioma Nation – Governor Okowa
- BREAKING: JAMB Announces New Date For 2021 UTME