Fear-gripped communities in Niger state have reportedly entered peace deal with the Boko Haram insurgent group, Daily Report Nigeria learnt.
The deal became follows the confirmed presence of Boko Haram in Niger State by the Niger State Governor Abubakar Bello, earlier in the week.
Sources say that about 65 communities in Niger State have signed a peace deal with the insurgents to in a bid to avoid future raids in the state.
The peace deal is coming just days after the insurgents displaced more than 5,000 villagers from their homes across few local government areas in the state.
While the Nigerian Army has claimed it is unaware of Boko Haram’s incursion into Niger State, the police spokesperson in the state, Wasiu Abiodun has aligned with the governor’s claim about the influx of the terrorist group into the state.
He said, “The executive governor is the chief security officer of the state. Are you expecting the police to dispute or go against the pronouncement of the executive governor?”
Communities like Gurmana, Manta, Bassa and Kukoki districts under Shiroro area of the state are said to have negotiated with the terrorists for a peace deal after reaching an agreement to pay certain amount of money.
The concerned communities were also said to have purchased a minimum six motorcycles worth N500,000 for the terrorists.
Co-convener of Concerned Shiroro Youth, Yusuf Sani said, “This is what most of the communities are resorting to. By my records now, communities that have signed the peace deal with the terrorists are more than 40.
“While some communities have already sealed up deals for ceasefire with the terrorists and are currently reaping the benefits, others are on the verge of finalising theirs.”
Sani also said the communities had paid “not less than N20 million to sign the peace deal with the terrorists.”
- Photos: Vehicles Set Ablaze as Hoodlums Attack INEC Office in Enugu
- #BringBackGEJ: Youths Begin Campaign For Jonathan to Contest 2023
- Miyetti Allah Tells Herdsmen to Vacate South South
- You’re on Expired Drugs, Aisha Yesufu Blasts Those Against Southern Governors
- 70-Year-Old Man Arrested For Stealing Human Hair in Ondo
- Breaking: Gunmen Burn Down Police Station, Vehicles in Delta
- Video: Leicester City Players Dance to ‘Over The Moon’ by Dr Sid After FA Cup Victory
- BREAKING: Leicester City Beats Chelsea to Win First FA Cup
- Delta 2023: Next Governor Must be Fair to Anioma Nation – Governor Okowa
- BREAKING: JAMB Announces New Date For 2021 UTME