Former President Goodluck Jonathan has called on government to alleviate poverty in the land in order to ensure peace.
The former president, who spoke on Friday in Abuja, at the public presentation of a research report entitled ‘Terrorism and Banditry: The Nexus’, published by the Goodluck Jonathan Foundation (GJF), said he understands that nation building can be challenging.
NAN quoted him as saying: “Our pursuit of peace cannot be achieved in isolation of the pursuit of justice and other human security needs. This is so because peace is the bridge that links poverty to prosperity, reconciles hope with despair and imposes order on chaos,”
“There is no doubt that our nation is plagued by many crises and these challenges have continued to threaten our fate and shared destinies.
“We have lost our loved ones, lost millions of properties and investments because of insecurity. The challenges posed by banditry, terrorism and other associated crimes threaten our human essence and the essential values of our democracy and nationhood.
“This is why the GJF considered it apt to undertake this research with a view to engaging the relevant stakeholders towards improved security.
“As a leader, I have been privileged to preside over the affairs of this nation for five years. I appreciate the challenges that come with nation building and the burden associated with pursuing peace and building trust in times of crises.”
- BREAKING: Army to Punish Female Soldier For Dehuminizing Corp Member
- BREAKING: FG Bans SSS1, SSS2 Students From Enrolling WASSCE, NECO, NABTEB
- Actress Olaide Oyedeji Welcomes Baby With Husband, Olukotan
- EPL: How Can You Sign Ben White for €58.50million– Gallas Faults Arsenal
- Katsina Female Hunter Vows To Defeat Bandits
- Police Arrest Three Women Concealing Petrol in Bags For Bandits in Katsina [VIDEO]
- El-Rufai Struggling To Export Banditry To The South – Akeredolu
- EFCC Arrest 26 Internet Fraud Suspects in Delta State
- We Will Not Allow Foreign Terrorists Overrun Nigeria – Army
- Decentralization of VAT Collection Will Favour Every State – Udom Emmanuel