INEC headquarters in Enugu attacked, vehicles set ablaze
The Enugu state headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has been attacked by unknown arsonists, Daily Report Nigeriacan confirm.
This is coming barely 48 hours after an office of the Independent National Electoral Commission was razed in Udenu Local Government of Enugu State.
The attack which was carried out on Sunday night, also saw official vehicles of the Commission razed by the assailants.
Sources say about seven men arrived the INEC premises in a Mini-Bus, located near Enugu State Broadcasting Service at Independence Layout and set fire to six Hilux vehicles.
Five of the vehicles were completely burnt, while the sixth was partially destroyed.
The hoodlums also reportedly tried to set fire to buildings in the premises, however, they were resisted by armed security operatives guarding the premises.
The INEC Resident Electoral Commissioner of Enugu, Emeka Ononamadu, confirmed the incident saying some vehicles on the premises were affected but the office buildings were saved.
“Firefighters were alerted shortly after the inferno was noticed and they rushed to the scene to prevent the fire from spreading to the main office complex,” he said.
Meanwhile, the state Commissioner of Police, Mohammed Aliyu, has ordered a manhunt of the perpetrators and emplacement of adequate security in the area.
The Commissioner, through the Command’s spokesman, Daniel Ndukwe, in a statement, said “yet to be identified armed miscreants, on Sunday, 16/05/2021 at about 2030hrs, attempted to set the Enugu Headquarters of the Independence National Electoral Commission (INEC) ablaze but were stiffly resisted by joint security operatives who swiftly mobilized to the scene.
“The State Fire Service personnel, who promptly responded to calls put across to them, helped in quenching the fire already set on four vehicles and two cushions within the office premises.
“Meanwhile, the Commissioner of Police, Mohammed Aliyu, who immediately raced to the scene alongside Heads of other Security Agencies in the State, has ordered the emplacement of adequate security within the precincts of the office and the launch of a full-scale investigation to unravel the mystery behind the act as well as fish out the assailants.”
See photos of the INEC premises after the attack
- PAP: NDRN Congratulates, Tasks Kemepade on Head of Reintegration Elevation
- Nigeria Has No Excuse for Inadequate Power Supply – Al-Mustapha
- MKO Abiola Remains Most Acceptable Nigerian Democrat – Northern Governor
- Buhari Remains My President, I Pray For Him Every Day, Governor Says
- Killings: We’ve Cried Enough, It’s Now Time For Action – Ortom
- Boko Haram Pays Recruits N5,000 To Spy, Smuggle Weapons – Zulum
- Your Hatred For Biafra Irrelevant, Referendum Nust Take Place – Kanu Tells Leaders
- JUST IN: Olusegun Obasanjo Writes Open Letter To Buhari
- Why I Apologised To My Lesbian Daughter – Charlyboy
- 2023 Elections: Count Me Out of Any Contest – Gov Masari