In respect to the directive of the Lagos State Governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo–Olu, to the Rapid Response Squad (RRS) to impound vehicles with covered number plates in the state, the command has impounded six cars for violating the law in different parts of the state.
Five of the seized vehicles have been transferred to the Lagos State Task Force on Environmental Sanitation and Special Offences. The sixth, a Mercedes Benz, ML 350, was intercepted and impounded in Victoria Island by RRS officers, around 9:30 p.m. on Saturday.
According to the spokesman of the squad, Moliki Femi, “the driver of the vehicle, one Adam Oluremi, 32, threatened and mobilised a military man to shoot the officers. The officers professionally de-escalated the crisis and successfully towed the vehicle to RRS headquarters.”
Receiving a briefing on the issue, CP Hakeem Odumosu directed that the vehicle be impounded and the driver prosecuted, maintaining that nobody is above the law.
The Lagos State Police Command had given an ultimatum to clamp down on users of unregistered vehicles, vehicles without number plates, vehicles with covered, defaced, or fake number plates, escorts vehicles without number plates, as well as illegal number plates showing names, titles, or social status.
Lagos State Commissioner of Police Odumosu had directed the RRS to clamp down on violators of traffic laws and to embark on massive enforcement at the expiration of the ultimatum.
“Users of plate numbers with special inscriptions like ‘Chief,’ ‘Chairman,’ ‘Ambassador,’ ‘Baale,’ ‘Iya Oloja’ ‘Sarki’ or bearing personal names, among others, are required by law to register such customised number plates. Escort vehicles and bullion vans must also be registered,” Odumosu said.
- INEC Pledges To Conduct Better Elections in 2023
- NDDC Leadership: Group Demands Justice For Ondo Citizens, End to Illegality
- Police Arrests 113 Clubbers Over Alleged Violation of Covid-19 Protocols
- NSCDC Intercepts Trailer-Load of Adulterated Fuel, Arrests Three in Kogi
- Division, Insecurity, Hallmark of APC’s Government – Lamido
- Do More For Women, Aisha Buhari Charges Leaders
- Full List of Newly Sworn-in Council Chairmen in Delta
- Video: Okowa Swears in 25 LGA Chairmen in Delta
- APC Protests as DSIEC Declares PDP Winner in All 25 LGAs, 500 Wards in Delta
- PAP: Ex-N’Delta Agitators Kick Against JAMB Condition For Admission, Warns Dikkio