Men of the Edo State Police Command have confirmed the escape of a suspected burglar from detention in Benin city.
The suspect identified as Chucks Obuh, was said to have been apprehended by a vigilante group, and later handed to the police.
Confirming the incident, spokesperson of the state police Command, SP Bello Kontongs, debunked the claims that the police were bribed for the release of the suspect.
The PPRO said the suspect, Chuks Obuh was arrested at Agbor Road in Benin city and was handed over to the men of Esigie police Division, Benin city for discrete investigation and possible prosecution.
“Contrary to what was reported on social media that the suspect’s syndicate bought police over to secure the freedom of their member, the suspect actually escaped from lawful custody on 5th September, 21 during a heavy downpour at about 20:30 hours,” he stated.
“To keep the record straight, the DPO of the area where the case was transferred to is known to be professional in his dealings and therefore cannot compromise in a situation where a criminal matter is under investigationAdvertisement
“When the escape was reported on Sunday 5/9/2021 at about 2030hrs while there was heavy downpour, the DPO immediately informed the Commissioner of Police about the incident and the CP in his response directed a disciplinary action be instituted against the officers and men on duty as at the time of the incident and finally directed in-depth investigation into the matter
“It is important to also state that items recovered from the suspect and the N50,000 have been duly registered with the exhibit keeper.” he added.
The command also confirmed that efforts are being made to re-arrest the escaping suspect, and appealed to the general public to help with any useful information they have.
- Boko Haram Attack Yobe Community
- Big Brother Naija: Fans Call EFCC on Organizers, Threaten Protest Over Pere
- Suspected Ritualist Kill, Bury 9-year-old Girl With One Thousand Naira Note in Kwara
- Nigeria’s Tax System is Problematic And Confusing – Fayemi
- Mourinho Blames Referee, VAR For Derby Loss
- APC Wants To Be in Power For Next 40 Years – Former Governor
- Gunmen Attack Community, Kill One, Injure Others in Kwara
- Nigeria Going Through Turbulent Times, We Need To Remain United – Sanwo-Olu
- Please Come To Aid of Benue IDPs – Ortom Begs Nigerians
- At 61, Nigeria Should Be Competing With Developed Countries — Wike