The Ijaw National Congress on Friday inaugurated Prof Benjamin Ogele Okaba as President, Daily Report Nigeria reports.
The renowned scholar was inaugurated alongside thirteen other National Executive Council members becomes the 8th National President of the Ijaw National Congress since it’s inception in 1991.
Prof Okaba in his inaugural speech, stated the establishment of an academic centre to be centred on the development of Ijaw language.
“In furtherance to our unalloyed commitment to promoting the Ijaw identity,and heritage, I have proposed to the INC National Executive Council to institute the appropriate statutory committee of congress to prepare a bill for the establishment of Ijaw Language and Culture Academy.
“When passed into law, it would among other things facilitate the development of a common/standard Ijaw language and the teaching and learning of Izon in our institutions of learning,” Prof Okaba state among other things.
The event which held at the revered Ijaw House in Yenagoa, the Bayelsa state capital was graced by critical stakeholders in Ijaw Nation.
Governor Douye Diri of Bayelsa state, Barr Kingsley Otuaro, Deputy Governor of Delta state, led a plethora of guests cutting across traditional rulers, youth groups and leaders, the political class, voluntary organizations as well as women groups.
Full list of National Executive Council of the Ijaw National Congress
Prof Benjamin Okaba – President
Mr Atamuno Atamuno – Vice President 1
Chief Alabo Nengi James – Vice President 2
Chief Williams F.J – Vice President 3
Engr Ebipamowei Wodu – Secretary General
Hon Samson Oroupa – Asst Secretary General
High Chief Agu Brown Philip – National Treasurer
Mr. Kennedy Odiowei – Finanacial Secretary
MR Ezonebi Oyakemeagbegha – Publicity Secretary
Engr Onengiofori Fenibo – National Organizing Secretary
Barr Bomo Tons Fetepigi – National Legal Adviser
Mrs Alali Danagogo – National Women Affairs Secretary
Mrs Peremo Isenah Opiah – National Welfare Secretary
Mr Abisagbo Tamara-emi – National Auditor
- PAP: NDRN Congratulates, Tasks Kemepade on Head of Reintegration Elevation
- Nigeria Has No Excuse for Inadequate Power Supply – Al-Mustapha
- MKO Abiola Remains Most Acceptable Nigerian Democrat – Northern Governor
- Buhari Remains My President, I Pray For Him Every Day, Governor Says
- Killings: We’ve Cried Enough, It’s Now Time For Action – Ortom
- Boko Haram Pays Recruits N5,000 To Spy, Smuggle Weapons – Zulum
- Your Hatred For Biafra Irrelevant, Referendum Nust Take Place – Kanu Tells Leaders
- JUST IN: Olusegun Obasanjo Writes Open Letter To Buhari
- Why I Apologised To My Lesbian Daughter – Charlyboy
- 2023 Elections: Count Me Out of Any Contest – Gov Masari