The house of representatives committee on public accounts has asked executive chairman of the Federal Inland Revenue Services (FIRS), Mohammed Nami, to resign if he tired of the work given to him and isn’t interested in appearing before the panel.
The committee is investigating dwindling revenue of the federal government as reported by office of the auditor-general of the federation.
The FIRS boss was invited to explain the circumstances surrounding the non-payment of taxes by Indorama Fertilizer, Indorama Petrochemical and Petrochemical Ltd — all foreign firms —and OIS Indorama, Eleme, Port Harcourt.
Nami, however, failed to appear on Wednesday, and sent a representative instead.
Abdullahi Abdulkadir, deputy chairman of the committee, lamented the non-appearance of Nami, saying it would prevent the panel from carrying out a proper investigation.
Oluwole Oke, chairman of the committee, insisted that Nami must appear before the lawmakers on Thursday, otherwise the panel will invoke its constitutional power.
He said Nami should “turn in his letter of resignation immediately”, if he can’t honour the invitation of the lawmakers.
“This parliament is the symbol of democracy. We are the representatives of the people. If President Muhammadu Buhari can cause appearance before the parliament whenever the need be, why not his appointees?”
“Enough is enough. If the FIRS boss cannot perform his constitutional responsibilities again, he should turn in his letter of resignation immediately.
“Is this how he wants to pay back Mr President who gave him the appointment? The nation is losing billions of naira from tax evasion on a daily basis, and the man in charge is expected to come to the parliament so that a solution can be found on how to stop the ugly development, but he has refused to honour the invitation.
“Based on the seriousness of this, the FIRS boss is to cause physical appearance before this honourable committee by 10am on Thursday. We are determined to stop this nonsense. The nation is bleeding.”
- PAP: NDRN Congratulates, Tasks Kemepade on Head of Reintegration Elevation
- Nigeria Has No Excuse for Inadequate Power Supply – Al-Mustapha
- MKO Abiola Remains Most Acceptable Nigerian Democrat – Northern Governor
- Buhari Remains My President, I Pray For Him Every Day, Governor Says
- Killings: We’ve Cried Enough, It’s Now Time For Action – Ortom
- Boko Haram Pays Recruits N5,000 To Spy, Smuggle Weapons – Zulum
- Your Hatred For Biafra Irrelevant, Referendum Nust Take Place – Kanu Tells Leaders
- JUST IN: Olusegun Obasanjo Writes Open Letter To Buhari
- Why I Apologised To My Lesbian Daughter – Charlyboy
- 2023 Elections: Count Me Out of Any Contest – Gov Masari