Women in Sokebulou and Yokiri communities in Ogulagha kingdom, Burutu local government area of Delta state, on Friday took to the streets to protest against the Shell Petroleum Development Company, SPDC.
Daily Report Nigeria understands the protest is motivated by a failed empowerment scheme by the company, aimed at helping women grow their businesses.
A source who spoke with our correspondent under anonymity explained the women were allegedly credited with ‘fake alerts’ to the tune of four hundred thousand naira each, in the guise of empowerment.
“Earlier this year, Shell sent officials to Yokiri/Sokebolou to take count of women doing business in the communities. After the confirmation, they women asked to go to the Company’s office in Warri to meet up with requirements of the scheme.
“The women were credited 400k each (fake alert), but were all unable to withdraw the said sum even after fulfilling all requirements stated by SPDC, as the were told by the banks no money was in their accounts.
“Three days ago, the women were asked to go over to the Company’s office in Warri, to open fresh accounts as the banks have stopped dealing with the previous banks.”
“Now, the women are embittered by the unwarranted series of redirection they have been made to go through by SPDC. They feel played,” the source added.
Observations of our correspondent revealed the women have maintained peace while exercising their grievances.
The company was yet to react or address the protesting women as at the time of filing this report.
See photos of the ongoing peaceful protest with the women bearing placards with varying inscriptions.
- PAP: NDRN Congratulates, Tasks Kemepade on Head of Reintegration Elevation
- Nigeria Has No Excuse for Inadequate Power Supply – Al-Mustapha
- MKO Abiola Remains Most Acceptable Nigerian Democrat – Northern Governor
- Buhari Remains My President, I Pray For Him Every Day, Governor Says
- Killings: We’ve Cried Enough, It’s Now Time For Action – Ortom
- Boko Haram Pays Recruits N5,000 To Spy, Smuggle Weapons – Zulum
- Your Hatred For Biafra Irrelevant, Referendum Nust Take Place – Kanu Tells Leaders
- JUST IN: Olusegun Obasanjo Writes Open Letter To Buhari
- Why I Apologised To My Lesbian Daughter – Charlyboy
- 2023 Elections: Count Me Out of Any Contest – Gov Masari