In just 2-weeks of securing goalkeeper Pierluigi Gollini from the same Italian club, Tottenham Hotspurs have secured another Center back, Christian Romero.
The details, including the contract length for the 23-year-old defender who made his Argentina debut this summer, were not revealed by the English Premier League club.
The best defender award in Serie A last season was won by Romero. He stood out in Copa America, helping Argentina win the tournament. The defender had seven appearances in the Champions League and 42 appearances in all competitions for Atalanta.
Meanwhile, Romero’s arrival is the departure of Toby Alderweireld. Toby, a 32-year-old Center back who played six seasons with the North London side, signed for Al-Duhail in Qatar last month.
According to Sky in Italy’s quote, Romero said that Tottenham and [Fabio] Paratici strongly wanted him. He is grateful to them; from day one, they were interested in me.” I liked the project they have for me. So that’s why I chose Tottenham. Now I have to respond on the field.”, he said.
Romero will become Tottenham’s third addition to Nuno Espirito Santo’s squad once his move to the North London club is confirmed. His immediate replacement is the arrival of Juventus defender Merih Demiral.
The new Tottenham signing, Cristian Romero, will wear the number four shirt next season worn by Toby Alderweireld last. His international teammate Giovani Lo Celso, who won the Copa America alongside Argentina last month, also confirmed Romero’s move.
In his farewell speech to Atlanta, he wrote;
“Unfortunately, the day has come that I never thought could come so soon. Unfortunately, I say because, in Atalanta, I found more than just a club, but a real family with which I could grow and fulfill some of my dreams as a child, such as playing and winning with my national team.
“I thank the Percassi family, who believed in me more than anyone a year ago, all my teammates, the coach, staff, and managers. Above all, I want to greet the Bergamo fans because they made me feel at home and welcomed me as one of them.
“I am sure that we will meet again and I promise you that you will have one more fan who will follow you in every match. Thanks for everything, @atalantabc.”
The reason Nunu Espirito signed him would have seen his impressive performance in Serie A with Atalanta last season.
- Boko Haram Attack Yobe Community
- Big Brother Naija: Fans Call EFCC on Organizers, Threaten Protest Over Pere
- Suspected Ritualist Kill, Bury 9-year-old Girl With One Thousand Naira Note in Kwara
- Nigeria’s Tax System is Problematic And Confusing – Fayemi
- Mourinho Blames Referee, VAR For Derby Loss
- APC Wants To Be in Power For Next 40 Years – Former Governor
- Gunmen Attack Community, Kill One, Injure Others in Kwara
- Nigeria Going Through Turbulent Times, We Need To Remain United – Sanwo-Olu
- Please Come To Aid of Benue IDPs – Ortom Begs Nigerians
- At 61, Nigeria Should Be Competing With Developed Countries — Wike