Nigeria’s Minister of Justice and Attorney-General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami has been called out for prosecution over alleged involvement in cryptocurrency trading despite the ban by government.
The call which was made by ex-presidential aide, Reno Omokri, also suggest Malami may have used a Virtual Private Network (VPN) to access his Twitter account, in a bid to deactivate it.
Omokri revealed that an icon spotted on the screenshot shared by Malami after deactivating his Twitter account proved that the AGF deals on crypto trading.
Malami had taken to Facebook to share a screenshot of his phone, confirming the deactivation of his Twitter handle, in compliance with the controversial ban imposed on the microblogging platform by the federal government.
In the screenshot shared by Malami, an app icon said to be that of popular cryptocurrency, LAtoken was seen in the screenshot shared by Malami.
This spotting of the icon has led calls by Omokri and other Nigerians seeking the arrest and prosecution of Malami, for engaging in cryptocurrency trading, following the ban cryptocurrency transactions in the country by the Buhari-led government.
Omokri in a series of tweets in which he also called for Malami’s resignation wrote: “AGF Malami has been caught red handed with proof that he dabbles in #Bitcoin trading through @latokens in violation of the law in banning #Cryptocurrency. He must address this issue. The Buhari regime must not sweep this under the carpet”
“If the Chief Law Enforcer of the Buhari government is himself trading in Bitcoin, as can be clearly seen by the LAToken icon on the screenshot he released showing he has deactivated his Twitter account, then he must apologise and step down”
“Attached is prima facie proof Buhari’s AGF, Malami, trades in #Bitcoin. Why else would he have a #Cryptocurrency app @latokens) on his phone? This is a violation of the law and he must be investigated and prosecuted. Highly hypocritical”
“My counsel to Nigerians is continue trading #Bitcoin and use a VPN. If Buhari’s Attorney General, Malami, who is meant to enforce the ban on #Crypto, is himself trading in it, then @officialEFCC should arrest him before they arrest you.”
Other commenters called for Malami to respectively resign following his flouting of the twin orders by government.
- PAP: NDRN Congratulates, Tasks Kemepade on Head of Reintegration Elevation
- Nigeria Has No Excuse for Inadequate Power Supply – Al-Mustapha
- MKO Abiola Remains Most Acceptable Nigerian Democrat – Northern Governor
- Buhari Remains My President, I Pray For Him Every Day, Governor Says
- Killings: We’ve Cried Enough, It’s Now Time For Action – Ortom
- Boko Haram Pays Recruits N5,000 To Spy, Smuggle Weapons – Zulum
- Your Hatred For Biafra Irrelevant, Referendum Nust Take Place – Kanu Tells Leaders
- JUST IN: Olusegun Obasanjo Writes Open Letter To Buhari
- Why I Apologised To My Lesbian Daughter – Charlyboy
- 2023 Elections: Count Me Out of Any Contest – Gov Masari