The Minister of Water Resources, Suleiman Adamu, has stated that contrary to claims by misinformed Nigerians that the controversial Water Resources Bill is pushed for by President Muhammadu Buhari, it is indeed a bill that is for the interest of the country.
Minister Adamu said this on Tuesday, as he explained the reasons behind the delay in passing the bill.
He also explained that the bill was never rejected by the 8th Senate as being quoted in some quarters.
He revealed that the red chamber of the National Assembly was only able set inaugurate a committee to look at the issues raised by stakeholders on the bill.
Adamu gave the explanation at a press conference he addressed with the Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, in Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory.
He said, “The House of Representatives passed the bill and sent it to the Senate for concurrence.
“Senators asked questions. This was within their rights to do so.
“The Senate did not throw out the bill in 2018. What it did was that it constituted a committee to look into the issues raised and report back.
“Before the committee could report back, the 2019 election came.
“When I was returned as minister after the election, I felt I should return the bill to the National Assembly.
“There was no subterfuge. We followed due process. It is not a Buhari bill. It is a water bill for Nigeria.”
Recall that severe outrage has greeted the Water Resources Bill from different regions in the country pointing out that the bill is not inline with the will of the people.
Many believe that the bill is another avenue for government to stiffen and tighten its grip on natural resources of the people, mostly coastal areas in this case.
- PAP: NDRN Congratulates, Tasks Kemepade on Head of Reintegration Elevation
- Nigeria Has No Excuse for Inadequate Power Supply – Al-Mustapha
- MKO Abiola Remains Most Acceptable Nigerian Democrat – Northern Governor
- Buhari Remains My President, I Pray For Him Every Day, Governor Says
- Killings: We’ve Cried Enough, It’s Now Time For Action – Ortom
- Boko Haram Pays Recruits N5,000 To Spy, Smuggle Weapons – Zulum
- Your Hatred For Biafra Irrelevant, Referendum Nust Take Place – Kanu Tells Leaders
- JUST IN: Olusegun Obasanjo Writes Open Letter To Buhari
- Why I Apologised To My Lesbian Daughter – Charlyboy
- 2023 Elections: Count Me Out of Any Contest – Gov Masari