Yoruba socio-cultural group, Afenifere, has explained the reasons behind the interventions of former President Olusegun Obasanjo and some Yoruba traditional rulers.
The Special Assistant on Media to Obasanjo, Kehinde Akinyemi, had on Sunday confirmed that Olusegun Obasanjo, met with Patrice Talon, the President of the Republic of Benin, in the first week of August.
Trip to Benin Republic by the former president triggered speculation that he was working towards shielding the embattled Yoruba Nation agitator, Sunday igboho from prosecution.
In reaction to that, Organising Secretary of Afenifere, Abagun Kole Omololu, commended the Yoruba leaders for their intervention and said they had done so because they believed Igboho would not get justice if extradited to Nigeria.
Omololu said, “Obasanjo is a Yoruba man first before becoming a president. Yoruba leaders are not noisemakers, they don’t make noise, they act. Look at the way we fought the NADECO battle, it was intellectually coordinated.
“Obasanjo won’t want Yorubaland to be disgraced. We all know that Federal Government is after the Yoruba nation, not Igboho. Obafemi Awolowo tried his best but was rolled into prison. MKO Abiola was killed.
“We want a bigger Nigeria that is working. It is restructuring or Yoruba Nation.
“Ooni and Olubadan are Yoruba men before they are Nigerians. They have to look after their children. They will not allow Sunday to be extradited. This government is lawless, they believe in brutality, not legality.
“Igboho is a social crusader, not a terrorist. He is protecting his people after the government failed and he didn’t kill anyone throughout his agitation. He is after the criminals. Why is the government defending the criminals? Sunday should be treated as a hero.
“Obasanjo and the monarchs have shown that they are full-blooded Yoruba persons. We applaud Baba Obasanjo. God will continue to raise the Yoruba Nation up.
“We are peace-loving. If the Yoruba Nation is peaceful, every part of Nigeria will benefit from it. Nobody is now safe in Yorubaland, If they have the chance, they can attack Obasanjo too.
“This administration has divided Nigeria so much. We are praying that this administration should end soon. This government has destroyed so many things.
“Federal Government should be considerate now by the efforts of the Yoruba leaders. Obasanjo is the father of Africa and he must be respected.”
- INEC Office Set Ablaze in Enugu
- Why Nigeria Can’t Adopt Electronic Transmission of Election Results – Kalu
- Nigerian Govt Must Respect Human Rights To Attain National Unity – Gbajabiamila
- Anti-Open Grazing: Pro-Buhari Group Says Ortom Doesn’t Hate Buhari, Fulanis
- BREAKING: 3 Policemen Dead, 2 Injured as Gunmen Attack Checkpoint in Anambra
- Zoning: ‘You’re Desperate For Relevance’ — PDP Tackles Umahi
- Nigeria Needs Strong Institutions, Not Powerful Individuals — Shina Peller
- Breaking: Former CBN Deputy Governor Mailafa Obadiah is Dead
- Buhari Grieves Over Ex-Algerian President, Comforts Tebboune
- Niger Police Arrest 259 Criminal Suspects