Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State, has insisted on replacing the present National Working Committee of the Peoples Democratic Party.
Wike who spoke on national television in Port Harcourt on Tuesday, said the replacement is necessary for the party to move forward and wrestle power from the ruling All Progressive Congress, APC in 2023.
His remarks were relayed by Kelvin Ebiri, his media aide, in a statement titled ‘PDP needs new, robust, determined NWC to win 2023 general elections -Gov Wike and made available to journalists in Port Harcourt, Rivers State capital.
The statement reads, “If you go to the public and ask Nigerians if PDP is ready to take over power in 2023, if you hold a referendum, you will know that Nigerians are even waiting for PDP.
“But the fear of Nigerians is whether PDP is ready to take over power. So, people are concerned about it. Obviously, it is ripe for PDP to take over, but you must be prepared to take over.
“And we said with what we have now, it will be difficult to take over power in 2023 if there are no amendments. Leadership was the problem. The point is this, the current NWC, as it is today, cannot lead the party to victory.
“Nobody has said they have not done well, one way or the other. But, we are talking about the challenges ahead. That is why we are pushing for the party to have other people to lead the party and to give it a different strength altogether. If you know APC, you know that you need a robust, determined leadership of the party (PDP) to make sure you match them word by word, action by action.”
- Wike to be Honored as Distinguished Governor of the Year on Infrastructural Development
- How APC Used, Dumped George Akume – Tiv Youths
- Buhari Approves Appointment of NNPC Limited’s Board Members
- INEC Office Set Ablaze in Enugu
- Why Nigeria Can’t Adopt Electronic Transmission of Election Results – Kalu
- Nigerian Govt Must Respect Human Rights To Attain National Unity – Gbajabiamila
- Anti-Open Grazing: Pro-Buhari Group Says Ortom Doesn’t Hate Buhari, Fulanis
- BREAKING: 3 Policemen Dead, 2 Injured as Gunmen Attack Checkpoint in Anambra
- Zoning: ‘You’re Desperate For Relevance’ — PDP Tackles Umahi
- Nigeria Needs Strong Institutions, Not Powerful Individuals — Shina Peller