Willian Joins Corinthians
Brazilian winger, Willian has torn up his contract with Arsenal and apologized to fans of the London club for not living up to their expectations.
In a very lengthy statement after confirming his exit from Arsenal, the former Chelsea playmaker apologized for his disappointing short spell.
Willian still had two years remaining on his £200k-a-week contract but walked out on contract as he teams up boyhood team, Corinthians.
The former Shakhtar Donetsk player also threw shades at those who felt he joined Arsenal for the money.
“I would like to thank Arsenal for the opportunity they have given to me and for the warm welcome received by everybody at the club,’ Willian said.
“Unfortunately, things on the pitch didn’t go the way we had all planned and hoped. I received a lot of criticism especially from some members of the press that I had come here for financial reasons… I hope my actions today explain to those people and they now understand that was not the case.
On why he tore up his contract, Wilian said;
“I hope it teaches some people that they should not be so quick to pass judgment and create bad environments to make themselves important even though I accept that’s part of the game.
“All my career, I have done everything to be the best I can be. I always want to win and I find it hard to accept not doing so. Unfortunately, it didn’t happen for me at Arsenal and I am sorry about that.
“I came to England in 2013 and I have enjoyed every minute of my time here. I want to thank everyone who has helped me along the way to play in this wonderful league that is full of heart and spirit.
“To the Arsenal fans, I am sorry we never got to meet properly due to the pandemic but I know your desire for success and your support for the club is incredible; so I wish you all the best for the future because you deserve it.
“To everyone else involved with this historic club, I wish you all the best for the future.”
Willian scored just one goal for Arsenal following his arrival from London neighbors, Chelsea a free transfer in August 2020.
- BBNaija S6: Yousef and Saskay Are Evicted
- Wike to be Honored as Distinguished Governor of the Year on Infrastructural Development
- How APC Used, Dumped George Akume – Tiv Youths
- Buhari Approves Appointment of NNPC Limited’s Board Members
- INEC Office Set Ablaze in Enugu
- Why Nigeria Can’t Adopt Electronic Transmission of Election Results – Kalu
- Nigerian Govt Must Respect Human Rights To Attain National Unity – Gbajabiamila
- Anti-Open Grazing: Pro-Buhari Group Says Ortom Doesn’t Hate Buhari, Fulanis
- BREAKING: 3 Policemen Dead, 2 Injured as Gunmen Attack Checkpoint in Anambra
- Zoning: ‘You’re Desperate For Relevance’ — PDP Tackles Umahi